Why study sociology?
- Discover the societal mechanisms behind relevant issues like gender and racial discrimination.
- Be able to quantify these disparities through data.
Learn how to conduct research and gain lab experience.
- Increase critical thinking through empirical inquiry.
- Study under nationally and internationally recognized scholars who are invested in your academic success.
- Learn how to conduct research and gain lab experience.
More degree options
Students entering the department can choose from a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Sociology, with an option for graduating with distinction. The sociology minor is available during the semester and as an online summer program. We also offer master's and Ph.D. programs.
We have three main areas of research focus: inequalities and institutions, population and health, and social psychology. We maintain a rigorous research schedule, and our department has received several grants over $2,000,000.
Our Lecture Series
We sponsor an annual lecture series in memory of one of our department's most celebrated members, Dr. Bruce Mayhew. This series brings in speakers from all over and focuses on everything from aging, to race, autism and crime.