The Jewish Studies Program is pleased to announce the 2021 Sura Wolf Wengrow and Henry Wengrow Undergraduate Research Award in Jewish Studies, recognizing excellence in academic research conducted by a University of South Carolina student.
In consideration of this year’s Covid-19 emergency, we exceptionally modified the terms of the award to avoid risks connected to research travel or accessing locations that may be crowded or altogether unavailable at this time. The 2021 award has been constituted as: Best Essay in Jewish Studies Prize. The $300 prize will go to an outstanding paper in Jewish Studies, particularly in the field of Holocaust Studies.
The award is made possible by a generous donation from the Wengrow family of South Carolina.
Although we strongly encourage applicants minoring in Jewish Studies with at least one course in the program, all undergraduate students are eligible for this prize.
Only papers written during the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters will be accepted for consideration.
All documents must be submitted as ONE FILE, as email attachment in Microsoft Word format, by the deadline specified below.
To apply, students must submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover sheet that lists the student’s name, title of their paper, title of the course for which the paper was written (if it applies), name of professor, date of submission to competition.
- Abstract (about 200 words): i.e., a short but meaningful description of the paper and its main thesis.
- Rationale: A brief explanation of why the student chose to research this topic (200 words max.).
- The completed manuscript. Papers must be double spaced and may be of any length, in either MLA or Chicago style. The essay must feature a list of Works Cited consistent with the style of the paper.
- Application deadline: May 1, 2021, at 5 p.m.
- Award announcement: May 15, 2021
All undergraduates and graduating seniors of every faith and ethnicity are encouraged to apply.
For all questions and application submissions contact Dr. F. K. Schoeman, email@example.com