USC-Columbia students must have health insurance.
*Proof of Health Insurance applies to: undergraduates taking six hours or more and paying the student health fee, graduate students taking six hours or more, graduate students with assistantships, USC School of Medicine students enrolled in 1 or more hours and all international students.
* Student Health Insurance Plan is the ONLY in-network plan at Student Health Services. If you waived the plan, some services may incur out-of-network costs.
* Additional department requirements may apply
Why the University Requires Insurance
Every student’s health and well-being are critical components to academic success. Access to medical care promotes student retention and success. Students with insurance stay healthier by using recommended preventive care services that help avoid health issues and often detect medical issues that need attention. The primary purpose of student health insurance is to provide an affordable and comprehensive benefits package so students have easy access to physical and mental health care and prevention screenings while attending school.
Over the past two decades, student health issues have grown more complex. Students may come to college with a range of health care needs from minor to extensive. Student health insurance plays a critical role in optimizing student’s choice for health care services. Those who are uninsured have a higher chance of dealing with more severe illnesses that may impact their academic success. Since unexpected sickness is one of the leading factors for family debt, student health insurance is critical to financial wellness.
How to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan if you already have insurance
- Visit sc.myahpcare.com/waiver and select the appropriate student link.
- Log in using your USC ID (the one letter and number combination found on the back of your CarolinaCard or at my.sc.edu under "View my IDs and manage my passwords.")
- The password is the student's date of birth in MMDDYYYY format (ex. 01011990), unless you have previously logged in to the system and manually changed it.
- Please go to https://sc.myahpcare.com/ to submit your health insurance information. Please check with your insurance carrier to determine your network providers. Student Health Services is in-network with many pharmacy plans, but not in-network with most health insurance carriers.
You must be enrolled in 6 or more credit hours and in a degree seeking program in order to purchase the student health insurance plan through the voluntary option unless otherwise required to show proof of health insurance. For more information, please contact our health insurance office.
Spring 2020 Coverage Period
USC Students: January 1, 2020 - July 31, 2020
Annual Premium: $2,181.19
Billed in two installments: $922.87 for August 2019 to December 2019 and $1,258.32 for January 2020 to July 2020.
The Spring 2020 enrollment and waivers begin November 1, 2019. The waiver deadline is January 31, 2020. Waivers cannot be accepted after the deadline. The 2019-2020 Student Health Insurance site is available: sc.myahpcare.com