Spring Student Mail and Package Services
All students living in university-owned housing and the Greek Village are required to have a UofSC Mail ID number. The Mail ID number is automatically assigned once a university housing room assignment has been completed.
You are encouraged to pick up mail and packages from the package pickup window promptly.
All mail and packages should be addressed in the following style:
Student’s Name (First, MI, Last)
UofSC Mail ID# (use five-digit assigned mail ID number)
1400 Greene St.
Columbia, SC 29225-0112
Mail ID Assignment
- Go to the Post Office Management System
- Login with your Network Username or VIP ID
Students residing in the following residence halls will be assigned a Mail ID number to receive mail and packages.
|Bates House||Bates West||Capstone||Columbia Hall|
|Desaussure||East Quad||Green Quad||Harper Elliott|
|820 Henderson||Honors Residence||Maxcy||McBride|
|McClintock||Patterson Hall||Pickney-Legare||Preston Res. College|
|Rutledge||Sims||South Tower||South Quad|
|Thornwell||Wade Hampton||Woodrow||Greek Village|
Mail and Package Service Fee
University Housing and Greek Village residents are charged a nonrefundable, non-prorated mail and package service fee each term for mail, package services, forwarding and handling of mail for six months at the end of each term or upon cancellation of University Housing or Greek Village residence hall assignments.
University Housing or the Office of Greek Life will refund or remove mail and package service fee charges from student accounts upon cancellation of residence hall contracts each term based strictly on nonenrollment or withdrawal from the university prior to the official start date of classes each term.
Mail and package service fee refunds or removals from student accounts will not be granted after the official start date of classes each term.
Inquiries regarding mail and package service fee refunds or removals should be directed to:
- University Housing
- Office of Greek Life
Requesting Mail and Package Services
(commuter and off-campus students only)
If you live off campus and you are enrolled in classes for at least one hour per term, you have the option to apply for mail and package services. The commuter mail service fee is $35, and it is nonrefundable.
- Go to my.sc.edu
- Click on “View Mail Assignment"
- Sign in with network username or VIPID (if required), then the SecureCarolina authentication method
- Click on “Sign up for an Off-Campus Mail Service Rental”
- Complete and submit the “Off-Campus Mail Service Rental Application”
- Upon successful submission, a message will appear with instructions to log in to Self
Service Carolina to pay the $35 commuter mailbox fee.
- Once you login to Self Service Carolina:
- Click on the "Account Information" tab
- Find "Optional Fees"
- Select the "Commuter Mail Service fee" option
- You will receive your mail ID assignment by email within two business days after the fee has been posted to your account. If you do not, please contact Sarah Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Addressing Mail and Parcels
Mail and parcels shipped via the U.S. Postal Service, UPS, FedEx and DHL are accepted at the Student Mail Center for students assigned to a mailbox. All mail and packages must be properly addressed to your student mail ID to avoid being returned to the sender. Packages cannot be delivered to residence halls.
Proper format for addressing student mail and packages:
Student's Name (first name, middle initial, last name)
USC Student # __________ (assigned five-digit mail ID number)
1400 Greene St
Columbia, SC 29225-0112
Receiving Mail and Parcels
All mail and parcels will be signed for by UofSC Postal Services upon arrival at the university and entered into our internal parcel tracking system. Students assigned a mail ID number will have a notification delivered to their university email from email@example.com when any letter mail and any parcels are ready for pickup at the Student Mail Center.
If you are expecting a piece of mail or a package but have not received an email notification, please check your junk mail folder. This situation can be corrected to receive future mail/package email notifications in your inbox by adding "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your safe sender list.
To claim shipped items, you must present your Carolina Card to the Student Mail Center.
- Freight or oversize shipments:
- Beds (including loft beds)
- Large-screen TVs (exceeding 40 inches)
- Mopeds/bikes, etc.
- Perishable or refrigerated items (No refrigeration on site)
- Hazardous materials
- Medications requiring refrigeration. These items must be shipped to and picked up from the Center for Health and Well-Being, 1409 Devine St, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Flower deliveries from florists
- Weapons of any kind
Residents of Park Place, Greene Crossing, YOUnion and 650 Lincoln
Mail and package services are provided directly to each respective location by Amazon, USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL and should be addressed accordingly. See address information below.
Please note that mail and packages for the above locations will not be accepted during Fall 2020 Move-In at the Coliseum, UofSC Postal Service or the Student Mail Center.
506 Huger St
Apt #_________(Apt number and letter required)
Columbia SC 29201
- All mail and packages are delivered to the office. (Delivery drivers are not allowed on the floors.)
- Students will be notified when packages are waiting on them either in the mailbox or the package room.
- Photo ID and signature required to pick up packages.
Mailing Addresses: (Appropriate street address and your Apt # required)
Flats Building: Student’s Name, 810 Pulaski St, Apt #, Columbia, SC 29201
Square Building: Student’s Name, 708 Pulaski St, Apt #, Columbia, SC 29201
Annex Building: Student’s Name, 620 Blossom St, Apt # Columbia, SC 29201
Shipping Mail & Packages for Move-In (Greene Crossing)
USPS - only carrier that will deliver to the office.
- Packages - Will be delivered straight to our office where we will distribute to your mailbox or logged into our package system in the leasing office for you to pick up when you move in
- Packages too large to fit in your mailbox - Will be logged into our system and you will receive a text message/email from Greene Crossing notifying you that you have a package in the leasing office.
- If you do not receive a text/email from us - your package should be in your mailbox if it has been delivered. Please ensure that you are checking your mailbox for any packages/mail delivered via USPS.
FedEx, UPS, Amazon Delivery, and DHL - will deliver straight to your apartment door.
- Wait to have these delivered after you move-in - Packages are delivered straight to the apartment door and would be at liability sitting outside of an empty apartment until you move in.
- If your package requires a signature and you are not home - they will reattempt to deliver your package or hold your package at their local facility as we are not allowed to sign for packages in the office.
- If you list the wrong address on your package, Package will be delivered to the incorrect apartment and we are not responsible for lost/stolen packages. Please ensure you are using the correct address, as listed above, with your apartment number. FedEx and UPS will NOT deliver if you do not have an apartment number listed.
Please contact the Property Management Office regarding mailing address and shipping packages for Move-In.
YOUnion at Columbia (803) 400-1570
650 Lincoln St.
Columbia, SC 29201
Mail and Parcel Forwarding
Forwarded for six months to your permanent address as shown on my.sc.edu after:
- date cancelled or released from University Housing or Greek Village residence hall contract
- last day of mail service each term
Update or cancel magazine subscriptions and notify your family members and any other correspondents prior to your forwarding expiration date (six months).
Students are encouraged to verify their permanent address at my.sc.edu prior to the above.
These shippers do not forward shipments. Items will be returned to the sender.
Pleas contact UPS and FedEx directly to inquire about returned shipments:
FedEx Express/Ground: 1-800-463-3339
Go to my.sc.edu to have USPS first-class mail and parcels forwarded to an international address.
(for mail forwarding to an address other than permanent address)
- Go to my.sc.edu
- Click on “View Student Mail ID”
- Login if prompted
- Click on “Update Forwarding Address”
- Complete all information and submit
Note: Campus mail ID numbers are not considered permanent addresses for the purpose of forwarding mail.