There isn’t much you need to bring with you your session, but there are still a few items that will help:
- VIP ID and UofSC system password. You will use this throughout your session, so please plan to memorize it or write it down in advance of your session.
- Transcripts and records. Including AP/IB scores, high school transcripts, immunization records, your advising worksheet and any other relative correspondence.
- Completed Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet. You will need this to register for classes.
- Appropriate technology and headphones. If you are a nursing major, you will need to bring a laptop with you to your session. Bringing a laptop is only encouraged for all other majors.
- Your parking pass. This will be sent to you via email.
- Donations for the Gamecock Pantry. Learn more about the Gamecock Pantry and what to bring here.
- A state issued ID and/or driver’s license. You will need this to pick up your CarolinaCard.
- Comfortable shoes for walking around campus.
- A light jacket and/or umbrella.
Within Columbia, we have the Columbia Metropolitan Airport. A 20-minute drive from our campus, they offer several direct flights with various airlines. Visit flycae.com to learn more and to book.
Also, the Charlotte Douglas International Airport is less than a two-hour drive from Columbia. For those arriving through Charlotte, Columbia Charlotte Shuttle is the leading provider of transportation between South Carolina and Charlotte Airport. Be sure to ask about their 10-Pack discount!
While overnight accommodations may not be needed nor provided by the Office of New Student Orientation, we wanted to share a few options that we recommend:
- Stay steps from campus at Graduate Columbia, a boutique hotel tailored to South Carolina. Sleep well in their comfy, cheerful guestrooms.
- Stay at Hotel Trundle, Columbia’s award-winning boutique hotel. Save 15% on your stay with promo code BYEBYEKIDDO. Visit www.hoteltrundle.com to book!
- Stay at Campus Courtyard Lofts! Steps from UofSC, these 5-star Airbnb lofts provide a cozy alternative to hotels. Our restored 1920s studios offer free parking, snacks and charming character!
- Stay at Kasa! Experience a stay in their historic downtown apartment locations in Columbia, minutes from campus!
During your session, parking will be available in the Bull Street Garage located at 611 Bull Street. Orientation Leaders and garnet signage will guide you from Bull Street Garage to the check-in location. Please check your email for your parking pass, print it out and place it on your dashboard during your session.
Check-in will begin at 7:15 a.m. and conclude at 8 a.m. outside the Russell House on Greene Street. During this time, you will be greeted by your Orientation Leaders, grab schedules and have an opportunity to enjoy a continental breakfast to get you fueled for the day ahead!