A few highlights:
Senate Street Entrance
The main entrance to the School of Law reveals a design inspired by 19th-century South Carolina architect Robert Mills, who was famous for designing several federal buildings in Washington, D.C., as well as the Washington Monument.
Gervais Street Entrance
The Gervais Street entrance opens the School of Law to one of Columbia's main thoroughfares, providing easy access for clients of our clinics, and for the community to access the library. Similarly, from these doors, it is only a short walk to the Statehouse, the Supreme Court of South Carolina, and many law firms.
The large courtyard features palmetto trees and Winnsboro blue granite benches from the Central Correctional Institution, the state penitentiary from 1866-1994.
Front of the Karen J. Williams Courtroom
With seating to accommodate 300, this working courtroom was designed for actual jury trial and appellate argument, as well as moot court and mock trial competitions. The bench is the original S.C. Supreme Court bench from the 1870s.
Back of the Karen J. Williams Courtroom
The courtroom is one of the crown jewels of the School of Law. It was named for the late Hon. Karen J. Williams, a 1980 alumna, who was an active trial lawyer before being nominated by President. George H. W. Bush to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in 1992, later becoming the court's first female chief judge in 2007.
Judge G. Ross Anderson Jr. Historic Courtroom
This courtroom features the woodwork, bench and bar from the Richland County Courthouse, built in 1935. A new wood floor provides an interior reminiscent of the original courtroom.
Nelson Mullins Riley and Scarborough Student Commons
The student commons area is available for student use 24 hours daily, including weekends, via card access. Bathed in natural light, infused with power for personal technology and featuring a variety of casual seating, the student commons is expected to be one of the most popular places for study, conversation and relaxation.
There are 26 group study rooms in the School of Law. Each room features a garnet wall on which students can write with white dry erase markers.
With more than 500,000 volumes, the School of Law is the largest law library in South Carolina, and one of the larger in the Southeast.