Skip to Content

My School of Medicine

Transition to Residency

Congratulations on your new residency appointment! As you look forward to this next stage of your education there are likely to be a number of items that you will have questions about as you complete the transition. 

After Match Day, you may have questions about some of the steps needed to transition to your residency. Reference the below information to help make your transition seamless. 

All students who matched must complete the temporary license requirement of the institution/state of the residency. States have different license requirements so it’s important that you review and complete all necessary paperwork in a timely fashion. In most cases, the USC SOM registrar will need to sign and certify your date of graduation and degree completion. If an official transcript is required by your residency program, the certified/official transcript will not be available until approximately three to four weeks after graduation. The cost for an official is $12.00 per transcript and it can be requested at the link here. Please contact Dr. Robert Rhinehart with any questions.

Programs may request references or letters of recommendations. Some residency programs will use your LoRs from your residency applications, and some generate letters from the program director and/or chair for the department. Some states have forms that need to be completed prior to graduation. You will need to research how your program handles this process. Please contact Dr. Rhinehart, if you need a copy of the MSPE/Dean’s Letter.

The South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation Board of Medical Examiners form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar. He will complete and place a School of Medicine seal on the form as well as deliver the form to the DLLR. Since an official/certified transcript must accompany the form, each student who matched in SC must complete the transcript request form and provide a $12.00 check/money order (made payable to the University of South Carolina) to cover the cost of the transcript. Please bring the form and check or money order to Capstone.

Your diploma will be distributed at the Koger Center after graduation.

Need a photo for your license application or other residency related forms? You were emailed a copy of your MIV composite pictures. Please contact Rachel Onley if you have any questions.

Dr. Robert Rhinehart is available to notarize documents. Please email him at to set up an appointment.

Your School of Medicine mailboxes will be disabled a few weeks after graduation, but we can provide forwarding to another email address for approximately six weeks, if you need it.

Please email us at if you need forwarding, and provide us your new email address. If you’re not graduating in May, please make us aware of that so your account is not removed. If you would like us to create a CD of the mailbox contents after graduation, please include your new email and contact information.

You may go to the police department for courtesy fingerprints or check with the VA fingerprinting office for courtesy fingerprints at 803-776-4000 Ext. 4365 or Ext. 4541. If you are going to a VA hospital for residency then you will need to provide the receiving facilities SOI SON #.

Kayla Spires, Employee/Student Health Nurse
6311 Garners Ferry Rd Building 3 Room 309

Kayla Spires will be in her office (Building 3 Room 309) on April 29, 2019 from 1:30-3:30 if you need an updated PPD or a copy of your immunization records.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.