Skip to Content

Gamecock Gateway

Gamecock Gateway student sits on her dorm room bed with her laptop


The Bates House community is designed to support academic success and enhance every Gateway student's overall college experience.

Fall 2018 Move In - Friday, August 24

Get settled in and mark your calendars for exciting USC Welcome Week End activities, August 24 - 26.


Bates House

Students in the Gamecock Gateway program live on-campus at the University of South Carolina in Bates House. This co-ed traditional residence hall houses 531 students, the majority of which are part of the Gamecock Gateway program.

Building Amenities

Building amenities include a computer lab, newly renovated study lounge, Student Success Center satellite office, and the Bates Diner, an all-you-care-to-eat dining facility. 
Take a virtual tour of Bates House »

Housing Staff

At Bates House, students are supported by one full-time residence life coordinator (professional staff), an assistant residence life coordinator (graduate student), and a host of resident mentors (undergraduate students), some of whom are former Gamecock Gateway students.

Common Housing Questions

How are roommates selected?

You will be paired with a fellow Gateway student. If you would like to pre-select or preference a roommate, please provide your preferred roommate’s name and USC email address on the Roommate Request screen as detailed in the Housing Application Instructions (included in the packet you received after paying your deposit).

How is my housing deposit applied?

Your $750 housing deposit is non-refundable. The deposit serves as an advance payment on your fall housing, and is automatically deducted from your fall housing fees. 

More information about tuition and fees »

Can I live at home?

No. Gamecock Gateway students live together in Bates House, as the program is both academic and residential. In fact, all USC freshmen are required to live on campus. Research shows that students who live on campus are more likely to stay in college and graduate. They report more satisfaction with their undergraduate experience, particularly with friendships, faculty relations and college life. They also achieve more in extracurricular activities, particularly in leadership and athletics.

Do I need to buy a meal plan?

Yes. Gamecock Gateway students are required to purchase the Carolina 10, which is a 10-meals-per-week plan at USC. This meal plan is already included in your required tuition and fees, paid via the Midlands Technical College MyMTC portal.

Meal Plan Upgrade

If you desire to upgrade your meal plan, please pay for the required plan through your MTC tuition and fees, and then pay the balance for your desired upgrade through the CarolinaCard office by calling 803-777-1708 or visit the office in person in the lower level of the USC Russell House University Union.

Review traditional dining plans through Dining Services »

How do I receive special accommodations for a disability?

The USC Student Disability Resource Center and MTC Counseling and Career Services work together support students with documented disabilities including — but not limited to — medical conditions, learning disabilities, health concerns, physical disabilities, psychological disabilities and many others.

Register for Transportation, Housing or Meal Plan Accommodations (through USC)

  • Complete the registration process with the USC Student Disability Resource Center, including registering with the center and applying for specific accommodations.

Register for Classroom Accommodations (through MTC)


Current Resident Concerns

I am having trouble with my roommate.
  • Chat with your roommate respectfully to find a solution.
  • If you are still experiencing trouble after trying to resolve the issue on your own, speak with your resident mentor. One resident mentor is located on each floor.
Something needs fixed or addressed with the residence hall facility.
  • Contact FIXX if you need to submit a maintenance request.
  • Notify your resident mentor about the issue if it affects others so that the RM can communicate the problem to the residents and let them know that it is being addressed.
  • If you are still experiencing trouble days after your facilities request was submitted, please notify your resident mentor or residence life coordinator.