SAPE has partnered with the Office of Parent and Family Programs to provide an in-depth guide to talking with your student about alcohol use in college. Backed by comprehensive research, this conversation guide is available to download for University of South Carolina parents and family members. We encourage you to read and review the information before your next visit with your student. The username and password to enter is UofSCfamily.
Tailgate on Greene Street
With heightened safety measures, the SAPE office is committed to providing alcohol-free options for gamedays. We are working to determine ways to continue the food, fun and games before every home game. Looking for a way to tailgate with your organization or group of friends? Have an idea about physical distanced tailgating? Send us an email and look for more details later this summer.
Take the Good Choice Challenge!
Tweet @UofSCGoodChoice pictures and videos of your healthy and safe choices. Use the hashtag #UofSCGoodChoice and we may feature you on this page!
Good Choice Challenge Photos
October Good Choice Challenger Winner
Our Good Choice Challenge winner holding her prize – a gift certificate to Mad Platter.
Dr. Pastides took these Good Choice Challenge winners for ice cream in his Mini Cooper.
October Good Choice Challenge Winner
Our winner from the Tailgate Challenge holds his prize – a Gamecock football jersey.
Ideas for Making Healthy Choices
- Watch your favorite TV series on Netflix.
- Send someone a card in the mail, just because.
- Write a poem.
- Make a list of ten things that make you happy, then do one of them.
- Watch your favorite Disney movie.
- Start a journal. It will be fun to look back on one day.
- Watch a TED Talk.
- Bake cupcakes or cookies. You can find great recipes on Pinterest.
- Start a new book.
- See a movie at The Nickelodeon on Main Street.
- Sing karaoke at Tsubaki Restaurant and Karaoke Lounge.
- Go glow bowling at Royal Z Lanes.
- Attend an event at the Koger Center.
- Race go-carts at Frankie's Fun Park.
- Paint pottery at The Mad Platter. Friday night is college night!
- Visit any of Columbia's city parks.
- See a play at Trustus Theatre or Workshop Theatre.
- Spend the day at Riverbank Zoo. Try the zip line!
- Go to Liberty on the Lake for live music and a meal on Lake Murray.
- Go to a museum and look at the exhibits. Try the Columbia Museum of Art or the SC State Museum.
- Go to a concert out of town.
- Take a trip to Charleston.
- Spend the day in Charlotte. Go to a Bobcats or Panthers game.
- Canoe or picnic at Saluda Shoals Park.
- Stroll through Camden, South Carolina's oldest inland town.
- Take a trolley tour of Augusta, Georgia.
- Tour historic Beaufort and its Lowcountry sea islands.
- Visit Clemson, home of our Tiger rivals. Take a picture in your Gamecock gear.
- Gaze at the stars at the DuPont Planetarium in Aiken.
- Hike in Crowders Mountain State Park.
- Go to the Bee City honeybee farm near the Edisto River.
- Check out the National Whitewater Center.
- Get up close to a tiger cub at Tiger World.
- Eat a burger at Pawley's Front Porch.
- Find a new restaurant to try on Yelp.
- Eat sushi downtown.
- Split a gourmet cupcake in the Vista.
- Get coffee with a friend at Cool Beans or College Grounds.
- Eat at Groucho's in Five Points.
- Have a picnic on the Horseshoe.
- Eat at Beezer's or Tio's after midnight.
- Play a board game or cards.
- Have a video game night with your friends.
- Watch a movie your professor mentioned with your classmates.
- Have a sleepover with friends. Share your feelings or do a dramatic reading from your favorite book.
- Have a horror movie marathon.
- Host a study group.
- Have an Ultimate Frisbee tournament on the Horseshoe at midnight.
- Climb the 52-foot climbing wall in the Strom.
- Go for a run or walk at Riverfront Park.
- Try at least two different group exercise classes at the Strom.
- Run or a walk a local 5K.
- Complete outdoor recreation's Challenge Course.
- Challenge a stranger to racquetball at the Strom.
- Visit one of the largest jumping fields in America at HiWire Trampoline Park.
- Go for a swim at the Blatt or the Strom.
- Help out with Service Saturday. Register with the Leadership and Service Center.
- Volunteer at a local agency or organization. The Leadership and Service Center does service trips.
- Help out at a local animal shelter.
- Volunteer at Harvest Hope.
- Help children with their homework at The Family Shelter of Columbia.