Your initial placement in the core classes based on your scores on the placement exams (test of listening, grammar, and reading; writing test, and oral interview). You will be placed in the best level for you so that you can make the most progress in your English language learning. It is not unusual for students to place into different levels for the 3 core courses. For example, a student may place in WG1, RV3, and SL2.
If, after you have attended the first two classes, you feel that you need to move down or up a level, do the following: (EPI does not allow lateral moves.)
- Tell your instructor and ask for a Placement Change Request [pdf] or download one from this page.
- Complete the Placement Change Request and give it to your instructor.
- Keep the receipts for your textbooks and do not write in the books (in case you need to return them to the bookstore.)
- Attend all your classes and wait for the EPI faculty to meet and discuss your request at the Final Placement Meeting, which is usually Wednesday afternoon of Week 2. The decision will be given to you on the next day in your WG class.
EPI faculty members decide students’ placement in core courses based upon the placement criteria [pdf]. EPI students do not select their class levels.
- Students must meet the minimum requirements for both Writing Sample and Accuplacer Language Use, and have a placement score within the listed range
- Placement score = WS*.7 + (ACP ESL Language Use/4) = 100
- Students must meet the minimum requirement for Accuplacer Reading, and have a placement score within the listed range
- Placement score = (ACP ESL Reading)/1.2 = 100
- Students must meet the minimum requirements for both Oral Interview and Accuplacer Listening, and have a placement score within the listed range
- Placement score = (OI FLU*2.7) + (OI PRO*.59) + OI GR + (ACCU ESL Listening*.225) = 100
- Oral Interview score = (OI FLU *2.7) + (OI PRO*.59) + OI GR = 73
*Official score reports are required for an iBT/PBT score to serve as potential placement sub-scores.
Student Achievement Scale
While the placement criteria outlines the requirements for initial placement in an EPI course level, the Student Achievement Scale [pdf] outlines the measurable and observable outcomes that a student can expect to achieve upon successful completion of each course of each level in the Intensive English program.
Change in Placement Request
We understand that sometimes an EPI student may feel that they have been placed in a class that does not suit their English ability. Please read the information below concerning EPI’s procedure for requesting placement changes.
Requests to Move DOWN a Level
- Continue to go to class EVERY DAY. You may change your mind and decide this class is the best for you.
- As soon as possible tell your teacher if you still want to move down. Your teacher will meet with other EPI faculty (teachers) to consider your request.
- The EPI faculty will meet to consider your request to change class. Your WG teacher will tell you of the decision as soon as possible after the placement change meeting.
NOTE: Please consider your request VERY carefully. If the EPI faculty agrees to allow you to move, it may NOT be possible for you to return to your class if you find your new class too easy.
Requests to Move UP a Level
- Go to your assigned class every day. Your teachers will evaluate your English ability for the next several days. If you do not come to class, your teacher will not know if you are able to move to a higher level.
- Do all your homework. If you are absent from class or if you do not do homework or other assignments, you will not be allowed to move up. (The faculty must have some indication of your ability and motivation in order to make a decision about your placement).
- Tell your teacher that you want to move to another class as soon as possible.
- The EPI faculty will meet to consider your request to change classes. Your WG teacher will tell you of the decision as soon as possible after the placement change meeting.
NOTE: YOUR TEACHER WILL HANDLE YOUR REQUEST. Do NOT make appointments with Mark Porter before the placement change meeting.