If you are going to be out of the office for awhile or just want to stop the listserv messages for awhile, you need to "set no mail."
The summer is especially a time when some people are out of the office and set their mail server to give automatic out of the office replies to all e-mail. These out of the office replies can present a listserv with extraneous messages not related to the content discussion. If you are going to set your mail software to generate out of the office replies, please consider setting the various listservs to which you are subscribed to temporarily receive NO MAIL. Then, when you return, you can set them back to resume MAIL.
To set NO MAIL over the web, follow these instructions:
- Click on the listservs link in the blue bar at the top of this page.
- Click on the listserv to which you subscribe.
- Click “join or leave the list (or change settings)”
- Click “login with your LISTSERV password” in the second paragraph at the top of the page. Don't worry if you don't yet have a password, you'll have the chance shortly.
Note: Your computer may log you in automatically (meaning your name and email address appear at the top of the next page). If this happens, skip to step 6.
- If you already have a password, enter your name and password, and hit “login”. If you DO NOT have a password, click “Get a new LISTSERV password.” Fill in the information and submit. On the next screen, you should click “follow this link”. Once you've created a listserv password, complete the login process again.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the section labeled “Miscellaneous.” Place a check next to “mail delivery disabled” to temporarily stop receiving listserv emails.
- Click “Update Options”
- When you are ready to receive listserv emails again, simply uncheck that box, and click “Update Options”
To set NO MAIL by e-mail do the following. The examples below are for our FYE listserv. For the others, replace the letters "FYE" with the letters for the listserv for which you want to set MAIL or NO MAIL.
- When you are leaving the office, the way you set NO MAIL is as follows:
set fye-list nomail