University of South Carolina

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Transient Student Financial Aid and National Student Exchange

You are considered a "transient student" if you are a USC Columbia student who earns credits at another college or university including other USC campuses, except USC Fort Jackson and plan to transfer the earned credits to USC Columbia. You must receive approval from your academic advisor to take advantage of this option.

The other school where you plan to earn credits must participate in a consortium agreement with USC Columbia. A consortium agreement allows you to receive USC financial aid while you attend the other school; we will work with your other school to obtain the agreement. All USC campuses participate in the consortium process, but if your other school does not, we will notify you.

As a transient student, you are not eligible to receive Federal Work-Study (FWS) or a State Need-Based Grant.

Our office does not process financial aid for students who are attending USC as transient students from other institutions.

Be sure to review the Transient Student Financial Aid Checklist

National Student Exchange (NSE) Program

The National Student Exchange Program is a consortium of colleges and universities in the United States, the U. S. territories, and Canada that provides opportunities for undergraduate students to study for up to one calendar year at another NSE member institution. Participation in the program is coordinated through the NSE Office.

  • Participation in the NSE Program Part B allows you to use all of your USC awarded financial aid (except Federal Work-Study) as if you were enrolled at USC Columbia.
  • NSE programs are generally not available during the summer sessions.

Be sure to review the Financial Aid Checklist for National Student Exchange