University of South Carolina


Transfer Requirements

What Defines a Transfer Student?

A transfer student is an applicant who has graduated from high school, has attended another regionally accredited post-secondary institution, and has attempted one or more college courses.

*Note: High-school graduates who take summer school courses in between graduation and the fall semester that immediately follows are not considered transfer students.

Grade and Course Requirements for Transfer Applicants

If fewer than 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of college-level work have been attempted, then you must meet both transfer and freshman entrance requirements. Transfer applicants from regionally accredited colleges and universities must have at least a cumulative 2.25 grade-point average on a 4.00 scale (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0). Several colleges and programs within the University, however, require higher grade point averages on all college work attempted:

  • Athletic Training - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - Minimum 2.5 GPA. For more information about the major, please visit
  • Biology - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Business majors - Minimum 3.0 GPA and completion of one semester of calculus equivalent to USC's MATH 122 (Calculus for Business Administration and Social Sciences) with a minimum grade of "C."
  • Cardiovascular Technology - Minimum 2.25 GPA if transferring with fewer than 30 semester hours; minimum 2.50 GPA with 30-59 semester hours; 2.75 GPA with 60 semester hours or more
  • Chemistry - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Computer Information Systems or Computer Science Majors- Minimum 2.75 GPA
  • Dance - an audition with the Department of Theatre and Dance is required for full admission as a dance major.
  • Economics- Minimum 2.5 GPA for the Economics program in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Education (early childhood, elementary, or middle school)- You must have a 2.25 GPA with less than 30 credit hours; 2.5 GPA with 30 hours or more.
  • Engineering Majors (including Computer Engineering) - Minimum 2.75 GPA completion of one semester of calculus equivalent to USC's MATH 141 (Calculus I) with a minimum grade of "C." Calculus courses designed for non-engineering majors do not meet this requirement.
  • Environmental Science - Minimum 2.8 GPA
  • Environmental Studies - Minimum 2.8 GPA
  • Exercise Science - Minimum 2.75 GPA
  • Marine Science - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Mass Communications and Information Studies (Advertising, Broadcast Journalism, Information Science, Print Journalism, Public Relations or Visual Communications) - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Mathematics - Minimum 2.25 GPA and completion of at least one of the following courses, or their equivalent: USC’s MATH 141, MATH 142, MATH 241, or MATH 300 with a minimum grade of a “B”. An AP or IB exam score that provides credit for MATH 142 also satisfies this requirement.
  • Music - Students must audition before being accepted to the School of Music. Contact the School of Music for more information.
  • Nursing - Minimum 3.0 GPA on all college work (Demand for this program is at an all-time high. All enrolled USC undergraduates who seek a nursing degree are first admitted into the College of Nursing's lower division. This does not guarantee later admission into the upper division nursing major. In recent years, upper division admission has become increasingly competitive, with admitted students routinely posting cumulative GPAs in excess of 3.25.) Students may not have less than a "C" in any science or nursing course. Admission to the program is selective; therefore meeting minimum GPA requirements is not a guarantee of admission to the college.
  • Pharmacy - Minimum 3.00 GPA
  • Physical Education - Minimum 2.5 GPA
  • Public Health - Minimum 2.75 GPA
  • Sport and Entertainment Management - Minimum 3.0 GPA
  • Statistics - Minimum 2.25 GPA and completion of at least one of the following courses, or their equivalent: USC’s MATH 141, MATH 142, STAT 509, or STAT 515 with a minimum grade of a “B”. An AP or IB exam score that provides credit for MATH 142 also satisfies this requirement.

Please note that undergraduate admissions policies and procedures are subject to continuous review by the admissions staff and the Faculty Admissions Committee and may be changed at any time without notice. The deans of the University's colleges and schools ultimately determine which transfer courses are credited in their programs.

Admissions Materials Required of Transfer Applicants

  • Completed application forms
  • Nonrefundable application fee
  • Complete official transcripts from post-secondary institutions through the time of application (these must be supplemented by final transcripts that reflect complete academic work prior to beginning classes at the University) sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from each institution attended
  • Complete official high-school transcripts sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
  • Complete SAT or ACT scores* if less than 45 semester hours (68 quarter hours) of college-level work have been attempted in a regionally accredited college or university. Official scores must be sent directly from the testing agency.

Which Courses May Transfer to the University?

For the purposes of admission, a transfer grade-point average is calculated using all credits attempted and all grades earned on college-level courses at other institutions. In addition, transfer credits to USC must be for academic courses completed with grades of "C" or better from regionally accredited institutions. The number of credits acceptable to the University and the number which may apply toward a particular degree may differ.

A maximum of 76 semester hours from a regionally accredited junior or two-year college may be transferred the University for degree credit. A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit by correspondence and credit awarded for educational experiences in the military may be applied toward the baccalaureate degree and must be approved by the dean of the college from which the degree is to be awarded. A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned while classified as a non-degree special student in the University may be applied toward meeting the requirements for a baccalaureate degree.

Individual course equivalencies for participating South Carolina colleges and universities may be found at the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center (SC TRAC). SC TRAC is a statewide system that allows students to create a transfer plan by searching for course equivalencies between institutions, browsing transfer agreements, and visiting school profiles. Please note that information found at SC TRAC is subject to change. Ultimate approval of course transferability is up to your academic department.

Credits earned while a student is on academic suspension from the University cannot be applied toward a degree or used in improving the grade-point average.

Readmission of Former Students

An application for readmission must be submitted by any former student who wishes to return to the University after missing a major semester (spring or fall). Readmission to the University and to the program in which the student was previously enrolled is not automatic. Students who leave the University in good standing, miss one or more major semesters, and attend another institution while away must meet the same requirements as transfer students. A student who leaves the University on suspension must apply for admission upon completion of the period of suspension and qualify for readmission to the major program requested.

Academic Forgiveness (former USC students only)

Undergraduate students who previously attended the University, earning an average GPA of less than 2.00 on their USC work (and have not been enrolled at any USC campus for at least 48 months), may apply for academic forgiveness if they meet specific conditions set forth in the University's Undergraduate Bulletin.

Apply to the University of South Carolina

Apply Now

After reviewing our deadlines and requirements, apply using our easy online application. If you have any questions, call one of our friendly counselors.

...learn more

Student Union

The Russell House University Union is where you'll find the bookstore, Starbucks, dining options and more.

...learn more
Student Services

Get in the Spirit

And cheer on the amazing Gamecocks in football, baseball, basketball, and more!

...learn more