International Transfer Admission Requirements
The University of South Carolina welcomes the applications of international students. Since you will have many arrangements to make in order to attend the University, it is important that you apply at least nine months before the semester in which you plan to begin your studies.
Applying as an International Freshman? Click here.
Admission steps to complete:
- Fill out the University's application form completely (there is a $50 application fee for international students) at https://www.applyweb.com/apply/uscc/index_usccapp.html.
- Submit your official TOEFL or IELTS scores to the University of South Carolina. English proficiency is measured through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A score of at least 550 on the paper based exam or 77 on the internet based TOEFL is required. USC also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Students must score at least a 6.5 on the IELTS.
If information about the TOEFL is not available in your country, visit www.toefl.org or write to: TOEFL, Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08451-6151, USA.
Please note that citizens from the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
Canada (note: Quebec students must take the TOEFL or IELTS)
Transfer applicants attending US institutions who have attempted and passed English composition courses equivalent to USC’s ENG 101 and 102 with a grade of "B" or better are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
- Submit official (or attested copy) transcript(s) from all college records in their native language. In addition, if your transcript is not in English, you must submit a certified transcript translated into English by a school official.
- Submit a course-by-course professional credentials evaluation with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading scale. If you have attended any school outside of the United States, you must submit an official professional credentials evaluation. An admissions decision will not be made until the evaluation and all transcripts are on file. US citizens (freshman or transfer applicants) who have attempted any courses outside the United States must submit a credentials evaluation and transcripts from their international work with a GPA reported on a U.S. grading scale. More information on the credentials evaluation process can be found below.
- If you are currently enrolled in an international college or university at the time you submit your official credentials evaluation and transcript, you must submit a final credentials evaluation and transcript after you complete your courses.
- Submit financial certification if you are offered admission. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions must receive official documents (photocopies are acceptable) which certify that the student will have sufficient funding to attend the University of South Carolina for one academic year. This evidence will be used to issue the student an immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) which will be required to obtain the F-1 or J-1 student visa at a US embassy or consulate. This process has been done after a student has been offered admission.
After receiving your credentials evaluation, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review it to determine if you meet the University’s transfer admissions requirements (located at http://www.sc.edu/admissions/apply/transfer_to_usc/transferrequirements.html). In some cases, we may delay a decision or request to see your high school transcript. We will notify you of our decision within a month after receiving all required documents.
Please note that international students currently attending another college or university within the US must complete the SEVIS Record Transfer In Form to transfer their SEVIS record. Admissions and transfer of the SEVIS record must take place within 60 days (F-1 visa) or 30 days (J-1) of completing study at the previous school. You may access the form here: http://www.sa.sc.edu/iss/docs/Transfer_In_Form.pdf.
Information about the credentials evaluation requirement:
Please note that a fee from the student is required for the evaluation of credentials. The payment and all contact regarding this process is done directly with the evaluation service of your choice. We will consider an evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). The web address is www.naces.org.
Below is the contact information of two companies that frequently provide us with evaluations.
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Educational Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Students seeking admission to the University's nursing program who have attended a nursing school outside the United States must use the following evaluation organization instead:
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19104
With more than 75 majors and the freedom to choose what you want to study, you are sure to find something that inspires you at the University of South Carolina....learn more
The South Carolina Honors College attracts students from all over the United States and beyond....learn more
Click here to read more about the costs of attending the University of South Carolina as an international student....learn more