A richly detailed history of the USC nursing program from its inception to the present
Nursing education at the University of South Carolina began in 1942 as part of a national effort to meet the nursing needs of a nation at war. The nursing program originated as a small department within Arts and Sciences. An autonomous school of nursing was founded in 1957 under its first dean Amy Viglione and students were admitted to the new four-year bachelor of science in nursing program in 1958. With the addition of a master's program in 1971, the school became the College of Nursing. These and other shifts in the mission, programs, research, and degrees spanning the sixty-three-year history of the nursing program are recorded in detail in A Legacy of Caring: Nursing Education at the University of South Carolina, 1942–2005.
This history was commissioned by Dr. Mary Ann Parsons, dean of the College of Nursing from 1990 to 2005, as part of the college's contribution to the university's bicentennial in 2001. Lois J. Widing began the project and was largely responsible for the early chapters. Carol A. Williams completed the history, focusing on the development of graduate curricula and changes in the research mission, including the development of the college's two doctoral programs.
Lois J. Widing received her master's degree in maternal-infant nursing from Teachers College, Columbia University in 1959. Upon graduating, she joined the newly opened USC School of Nursing and served on the faculty through her retirement in 1994, intermittently holding a number of administrative appointments. Widing died in 2004 before her work on this volume could be completed.
Carol A. Williams, professor emerita, is a psychiatric nursing specialist and has a DSN from the University of Alabama. She was a member of the USC nursing faculty from 1971 until her retirement in 1999. Williams was appointed to complete this history in 2005.