School of Music to present September concert series
The University of South Carolina School of Music will present the “Cornelia Freeman September Concert Series,” a five-Sunday series beginning Sept. 6 and concluding Oct. 4.
Tickets for the full series, held annually to raise scholarship funds for university music students, are $50 for adults and $40 for seniors and university faculty and staff. Individual concert tickets are $12 for adults, $10 for seniors and faculty and staff and $5 for students. Cash, check and credit cards are accepted at the door. To reserve tickets, contact Laveta Gibson at 803-777-4280 or firstname.lastname@example.org. All concerts are in the School of Music recital hall. Doors open at 2:15 p.m., and all concerts begin at 3 p.m.
Concerts will include the following performances:
- Concert No. 1, Sept. 6 -- Baroque, contemporary vocal music and masterworks of the Romantic era, including a selection of Slavonic Dances by Dvorak. Pianists Marina Lomazov and Joseph Rackers will perform.
- Concert No. 2, Sept. 13 -- More Dvorak—a quartet for piano and strings—as well as music from the classical era by Krommer and Rossini, each featuring double-reed instruments.
- Concert No. 3, Sept. 20 -- Entirely inspired by popular music of the 20th century, including ragtime, jazz, and rock ’n’ roll. Work by Chick Corea, Martinu and the university’s own Sonia Jacobsen will be featured as well.
- Concert No. 4, Sept. 27 -- Music for brass by Ewazen and Dahl combined with the delicacy of Chopin (performed by Charles Fugo) and a rarely performed Stravinsky work for voice and winds.
- Concert No. 5, Oct. 4 – Pianist John Williams celebrates the 200th anniversary of Mendelssohn’s birth with “Rondo Capriccioso, Op 14.” The program also will feature works by Villa-Lobos and Mussorgsky and jazz selections by jazz faculty.
For more than two decades the “Cornelia Freeman September Concert Series” has raised scholarship funds for music students. For more information on the series or other School of Music events, visit the Web site at http://www.music.sc.edu/.
“Cornelia Freeman September Concert Series”
- When: 3 p.m. each Sunday from Sept. 6 to Oct. 4
- Where: School of Music recital hall