Kennedy Pharmacy Innovation Center highlights
I. The Kennedy Center will transform pharmacy practice education in South Carolina.
- Future pharmacists need innovative approaches to meet the challenges of a new practice landscape.
- The center will create a collaborative-interdisciplinary environment of pharmacy practice ingenuity that will prepare South Carolina College of Pharmacy students to be regional and national leaders in the profession.
- The center will combine the nation’s top minds in entrepreneurship, health sciences, communications and other disciplines with leading pharmacy practice faculty.
II. The hallmark of the Kennedy Center will be innovation in practice and education.
- Faculty enrichment will include strengthening and expanding resources with an endowed chair, junior faculty fellowships and visiting lecturers.
- Strong student support and training in entrepreneurship through collaboration with the acclaimed Darla Moore School of Business will escalate SCCP’s culture of innovation.
- Educational strategies that build upon a core curriculum with a focus on entrepreneurship to give students the experience to discover new innovative pharmacy practice.
III. The Kennedy Center marks another milestone in the SCCP’s goal to be among the country’s top quality pharmacy schools
- SCCP is the only pharmacy college created out of two still-independent universities (the University of South Carolina and the Medical University of South Carolina), giving it the direct resources of a comprehensive university and an academic medical center.
- The center will be the college’s fifth nationally recognized research or service center, three of which are Centers of Economic Excellence.
- SCCP is ranked No. 9 out of more than 100 pharmacy colleges in the country in National Institutes of Health funding per PhD faculty.
- The MUSC-SCCP Post Graduate Year One residency program was recognized as the nation’s best by American Society of Health System Pharmacists in 2008.
IV. The resources will benefit all of USC and the three campuses of the SCCP
- The center’s programs will be available to all SCCP students, including those at MUSC and the Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center.
- The SCCP is ideally positioned as a statewide entity that will be able to maximize return on the Kennedy Center investment through its award-winning distance education technology.