Table of Contents


Information for specific audiences:

1. Report students who are or may become a danger to themselves or others.

For all immediate emergencies, dial "911" on any campus or off-campus phone. If you suspect a student of possible future self-injurious behavior (e.g. suicidal thoughts) or erratic behavior (e.g. violence to others) notify the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT).

2. Help students who become disruptive in class or elsewhere.

Up front, it is important to establish expectations and ground rules for class discussions, tardiness, safety and other concerns. If a disruptive situation develops and is non-threatening, minor, and/or annoying, it is best to correct it gently and directly. If the behavior is repetitive (within that same class period), or if student(s) are disruptive and disrespectful, it is recommended that the faculty member speak directly and informally (privately when possible) with the student or students involved. If the disruptive behavior continues, the instructor may issue a written formal warning, and also contact the Office of Student Judicial Programs to determine how to best address the issue.

Avoiding Classroom Disruptions

avoiding classroom disruptions video

3. Help students follow the USC Honor Code.

Faculty should be familiar with the University’s Honor Code and ensure that students are too. There are a number of ways that you can promote the Honor Code in your classroom, such as including academic integrity statements on the syllabus and tests, and discussing academic integrity in class.

4. Refer a student with an academic problem.

The Creating Academic Responsibility (CAR) initiative from the Student Success Center provides a mechanism by which faculty can refer students who are in danger of failing due to excessive absences, disengagement in class, or failure to complete assignments. Faculty members teaching 100-400 level undergraduate classes are able to refer students to CAR.

To refer a student to CAR, follow these instructions:

  • Log in to VIP. Go to your class roll.
  • Click student’s name to show student information.
  • Click CAR referral form at the bottom of the page.
  • Complete form.
  • Click submit.

5. Tell students about on-campus tutoring and coaching services.

The Student Success Center provides free tutoring to undergraduates in a number of subjects based upon historical needs. Tutoring is also provided by other campus organizations and several colleges. Academic Centers for Excellence (ACE) help students with general study skills, time management, and other topics.

Resources for Students

resources for students video

6. Help students who are struggling with life issues and managing stress.

College life can be a difficult adjustment. Often, it is the faculty who provide the link between students and the Counseling Center. Involve yourself only as much as you feel comfortable; be careful about becoming overly involved. Suggest that the student call the Counseling and Human Development Center to make an appointment. It is best to have them do it in your presence. If the situation is an emergency, call the Counseling Center yourself at (803) 777-5223.

7. Accommodate students with disabilities.

Any student who desires accommodation due to a disability must be registered with the Office of Student Disability Services. This office will give the student an official "letter to the faculty" which explains the necessary accommodations. Students present the letter and discuss accommodations with you so that you are aware of which accommodations have been approved for the individual student. If you need assistance in providing reasonable accommodations for any student please contact the office at 777-6142. Faculty are also encouraged to refer students to the office for assistance.

Other important links:

Columbia, SC 29208 • 803-777-8322 •