Bursar's Office

Physical Location
1244 Blossom Street, Suite 128
Columbia, South Carolina

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Telephone (803) 777-4233
Fax (803) 777-7953

Mailing Address
University of South Carolina
The Bursar's Office
1244 Blossom Street, Suite 128
Columbia, SC 29208


The Bursar's Office is responsible for processing academic and departmental tuition and fee refunds. The following situations may result in a refund, pending the transaction occurs before the appropriate deadlines:

  • Change in a full-time student's schedule, which results in reclassification to part-time status
  • Change in a part-time student's schedule, which results in fewer credit hours
  • Course or courses dropped
  • Withdrawal from the University
  • Cancellation of a class by the University

View the Important (W, WF, Refund, Withdrawal) Deadlines You Need to Know.

Fees (Lab, Technology, Enrichment, Tuition for 17 credit hours and above, etc.) are not refundable after the 100% refund period. Housing and Meal Plans are not automatically refunded. Please contact Housing or the Carolina Card Office (for Meal Plans) directly for refunds.

Our refund process takes 2-3 weeks to complete. The refund checks are made payable to the student and are mailed to the student’s current address. Refunds are processed only for fees paid during the academic year. The academic year begins with the fall term and ends with the summer term. Refunds may be requested at any time during the academic year in which the applicable term occurs.

Reissuing Refund Checks
If you were sent a check from the Bursar's Office and the check...

  • Never arrived after 10 business days
  • Was lost or stolen
  • Was completely destroyed
  • Has expired/stale dated

You may request a Stop Payment on the check and begin the process of reissuing another check. You must submit a Stop Payment Request to the Bursar's Office. The process may take 10 to 14 days and there may be a $30 processing fee for all reissued checks. Reissued checks are posted to your student account and will pay any current and prior semester charges prior to being refunded. We request you verify and update your addresses in Self Service Carolina prior to the check being reissued.

Direct deposit to your bank account is available and is the most convenient was to receive your student account refunds. You can enroll in direct deposit in Self Service Carolina.

NEVER WRITE "VOID" ACROSS THE FACE OF THE CHECK IF YOU NO LONGER WANT TO ACCEPT YOUR FINANCIAL AID. Please contact the Bursar's Office for instructions on returning a refund check. If you wish to decline your financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 803-777-8134.

Stop Payment Request Form (PDF)

How to Calculate Refunds
Student refunds for tuition are calculated based on the student’s liable hours after the drop/withdrawal. Liable hours are calculated as the total hours a student is still registered plus the liable portion of the dropped/withdrawn course(s). The liable portion is computed by taking the number of dropped hours times the liability rate (which is 100 percent minus the refund percentage). The refund amount is determined to be the difference of the original assessment and the assessment based on the new liable hours. For students whose liable hours are 12 or above, no refunds are processed. Other academic fees are non-refundable after the 100 percent refund percentage. For students activated for full-time military service during an academic term, the University follows state law in Section 59-101-395. If a student has an overdue balance, the refund will be applied to the balance due.

Financial Aid Refunds

To ensure timely disbursement of your financial aid awards, please ensure the necessary documentation has been completed and received by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. The Bursar’s Office disburses all financial aid overages. The beginning disbursement date is posted on this website. Due to Federal regulations we cannot disburse financial aid funds prior to the stated beginning date for each semester.

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships with questions about your Financial Aid Awards.

Refund Policy for Students who have Received TITLE IV Funds and Withdraw from the University.

Title IV Funds include:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loan
  • Subsidized Direct Loan
  • Perkins Loan
  • Direct Plus Loan (Graduate Student)
  • Direct Plus Loan (Parent)
  • Pell Grant
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant
  • National SMART Grant
  • TEACH Grant

Federal financial aid funds are awarded with the expectation that students will complete the entire period of enrollment. Students "earn" a percentage of the funds that are disbursed with each day of class attendance. When a student who has received federal aid funds (Title IV Funds) leaves school before the end of the semester or period of enrollment, federal regulations require the University of South Carolina to calculate the percentage and amount of "unearned" financial aid funds that must be returned. Once a student has completed more than 60% of the enrollment period, they are considered to have earned all funding received. This calculation may have the effect of requiring the student who withdraws before this time frame to repay funds that have already been disbursed to the student or credited towards their current account for tuition, fees, housing and/or meals. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor in the Office of Student Affairs, or the appropriate office on their campus, prior to making the decision to withdraw from school.

The Bursar's Office
Phone: (803) 777-4233
Fax: (803) 777-0038
Email: bursref@mailbox.sc.edu
The Bursar's Office
University of South Carolina
1244 Blossom Street - Suite 128
Columbia, South Carolina 29208

Direct Deposit of Refunds

The most rapid means of receiving refunds that are to be refunded to the student is via direct deposit. All direct deposits are set up online through the Self Service Carolina portal. Please use personal checking accounts only. Direct deposits cannot be set up with a savings account.


  1. Log into Self Service Carolina.
  2. Click on the Account Information tab.
  3. Click on the Sign Up for Direct Deposit tab and another screen will open up.
  4. Select the eRefunds tab.
  5. Click on the Set-up Account tab. If you have previously set up an account, you will only have the option to edit or remove the existing account.
  6. Type in the Routing Number and the Account Number.
  7. Next, fill in the Billing Information for the account.
  8. Create an identifying name for the account and key this in the Save Payment Method As area. Then click Continue.
  9. Read the agreement terms. If you still want to set up a direct deposit account, click the I Agree box and click continue to complete your transaction.
  10. You will receive a confirmation message if your account was successfully saved.
Unclaimed Student Account Refunds

Financial Aid and regular student refunds are issued to the address on your student record. You are responsible for keeping your personal contact information up to date at Self Service Carolina. If your refund check is deemed undeliverable by the post office, the Bursar's Office will contact you by email asking you update your address. If we are unable to contact you by email or telephone, unclaimed non-Title IV student refunds may be forwarded to the State Treasurer's Office Unclaimed Property Program.

Federal regulations require you to cash a federally funded (Title IV) refund check within a timely manner and all refund checks expire 180 days (six months) from the issue date of the check. The Bursar's Office will attempt to notify you beginning at 90 days of any uncashed refund checks. If your refund check expires with no action from you, the refund check will be cancelled and the funds returned to the appropriate loan or grant programs.

1244 Blossom Street, Columbia, SC 29208 • 803-777-4233 • Fax: 803-777-7953
© University of South Carolina Board of Trustees