Faculty and Staff
Julie Ann Justo, Pharm.D., MS, BCPS-AQ ID
|Title:||Clinical Associate Professor / Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences
|College of Pharmacy|
Julie Ann Justo is an Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences at the University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy in Columbia, South Carolina. She also maintains a practice site in infectious diseases and antimicrobial stewardship at Palmetto Health Richland Hospital. Dr. Justo received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Florida College of Pharmacy in 2009. She completed a 1-year Pharmacy Practice Residency in 2010 and a 3-year Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy Fellowship in 2013 at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy. She also received a Master of Science in Clinical and Translational Science from the UIC School of Public Health in 2013.
Dr. Justo is a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist with Added Qualifications in Infectious Diseases. She is an active member of professional organizations, such as the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (SIDP) and the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). She also serves as a core member of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Collaborative of South Carolina (ASC-SC). You can connect with her via Twitter @julie_justo.
- Clinical impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs
- Management of gram-negative bacterial infections
- Clinical education
- View a full list of current publications via Pubmed
- Seddon MM, Bookstaver PB, Justo J, Kohn J, Rac H, Haggard E, Mediwala KN, Dash S, Al-Hasan MN. Role of early de-escalation of antimicrobial therapy on risk of Clostridioides difficile infection following Enterobacteriaceae bloodstream infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 12. doi: 1093/cid/ciy863. [Epub ahead of print]
- Al-Jaghbeer MJ, Justo J, Owens W, Kohn J, Bookstaver PB, Hucks J, Al-Hasan MN. Risk factors for pneumonia due to beta-lactam-susceptible and beta-lactam-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a case-case-control study. Infection. 2018;46:487-494. PMID: 29752649.
- Luther VP, Shnekendorf R, Abbo LM, Advani S, Armstrong WS, Barsoumian A, Beeler CB, Bystrisky R, Cherabuddi K, Cohen S, Hamilton KW, Ince D, Justo J, Logan A, Lynch III JB, Nori P, Ohl CA, Patel PK, Pottinger PS, Schwartz BS, Stack C, Zhou Y. Antimicrobial stewardship training for infectious diseases fellows: program directors identify a curriculum need. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Oct;67(8):1285-1287. PMID: 29668905.
- Gallagher JC, Justo J, Chahine EB, Bookstaver PB, Scheetz M, Suda KJ, Fehrenbacher L, Klinker KP, MacDougall C. Preventing the post-antibiotic era: training future pharmacists as antimicrobial stewards. Am J Pharm Educ. 2018 Aug;62(6):6770. PMID: 30181677.
- Justo J, Bookstaver PB, Kohn J, Albrecht H, Al-Hasan MN. Combination versus monotherapy for gram-negative bloodstream infections: matching by predicted prognosis. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2018;51(3):488-492. PMID: 28919195.
- Al-Hasan MN, Acker EC, Kohn JE, Bookstaver PB, Justo J. Impact of penicillin allergy on empirical carbapenem use in gram-negative bloodstream infections: an antimicrobial stewardship opportunity. Pharmacotherapy. 2018 Jan;38(1):42-50. PMID: 29105102.
- Bookstaver PB, Nimmich EB, Smith III TJ, Justo J, Kohn J, Hammer KL, Troficanto C, Albrecht HA, Al-Hasan MN. Cumulative effect of an antimicrobial stewardship and rapid diagnostic testing bundle on early streamlining of antimicrobial therapy in gram-negative bloodstream infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Sept;61(9). pii: e00189-17. PMID: 28630187.
- Augustine MR, Testerman TL, Justo J, Bookstaver PB, Kohn J, Albrecht H, Al-Hasan MN. Clinical risk score for prediction of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in bloodstream isolates. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017 Mar;38(3):266-272. PMID: 27989244.
- Kutob L, Justo J, Bookstaver PB, Kohn J, Albrecht H, Al-Hasan MN. Effectiveness of oral antibiotics for definitive therapy of gram-negative bloodstream infections. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2016 Nov;48(5):498-503. PMID: 27590704.
- Justo J, Mayer SM, Pai MP, Soriano MM, Danziger LH, Novak RM, Rodvold KA. Pharmacokinetics of ceftaroline in normal body weight and obese (class I, II, and III) healthy adult subjects. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Jul;59(7):3956-3965. PMID: 25896707.
- Justo J, Bosso JA. Adverse reactions associated with systemic polymyxin therapy. Pharmacotherapy. 2015 Jan;35(1):28-33. PMID: 25266910.
- Justo J, Bookstaver PB. Antibiotic lock therapy: review of technique and logistical challenges. Infect Drug Resist. 2014 Dec;7:343-63. PMID: 25548523.
- Justo J, Gauthier TP, Scheetz MH, Chahine EB, Bookstaver PB, Gallagher JC, Hermsen ED, DePestel DD, Ernst EJ, Jacobs DM, Esterly JS, Suda KJ, Olsen KM, Abbo LM, MacDougall C. Knowledge and attitudes of doctor of pharmacy students regarding the appropriate use of antimicrobials. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Oct;59(suppl 3):S162-S169. PMID: 25261543.