The 2020 SOAR Request for Applications is officially open. Please submit all application materials by 5:00 p.m. EST on May 19, 2020.
Download Application Instructions Here [pdf]
Download Application Form Here [doc]
Dr. Charles L. Bennett from the University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy is the recipient of the American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant. Nationally, only 43 universities have received this highly competitive award, which is designed to provide research opportunities for new cancer investigators.
The Institutional Research Grant (IRG) is a three-year $270,000 award which enables
UofSC to provide three, one-year pilot research grants annually to beginning investigators
in cancer research who have no national competitive research grant support. The review
of applications and allocation of awards is managed through the College of Pharmacy
using a peer-review process.
Purpose of SOAR
The Supporting Outstanding Academic Research in Oncology (SOAR) program supports the initiation of promising new cancer research projects by independent, self-directed junior faculty members so they can obtain data that will allow them to successfully compete for peer-reviewed extramural cancer research grants.
The University of South Carolina and its various cancer programs collaborate with
the American Cancer Society at a local and national level to promote ACS research
opportunities and to disseminate information about research findings and benefits
to public and professional groups.
The following eligibility criteria apply to applicants for the individual SOAR awards:
- Applicants must be within six (6) years of their first independent research or faculty appointment at any University of South Carolina campus. Investigators who are adjunct assistant, associate, or full professor at any University of South Carolina campus and/or who are clinicians at the WJB Dorn Veterans Administration Medical Center may be considered as well. For applicants who are not full-time at the University of South Carolina, a letter from a mentor for their proposed project indicating that the applicant plans to seek subsequent peer-reviewed funding would be necessary. (Support of senior investigators, postdoctoral fellows, or junior investigators who have received prior support from the ACS IRG is not permitted).
- Applicants must not be a Principal Investigator of any national peer-reviewed grant funding prior to IRG award (e.g., NIH K99/R00, R03, R01, R21, National ACS award, National DOD award etc). Individuals with career development awards (NIH K awards and other career development awards from national foundations) are eligible.
- Individuals who have received national peer-reviewed research grants that were not renewed and who are still at the level of assistant professor may apply for an individual IRG—provided they are within the first six years of their independent faculty (or equivalent) appointment and have not received funds from the ACS IRG before.
- Parties that have previously received this reward are not eligible and therefore should not apply for this grant.
- Applicants must at the time of the application have U.S. residency status or hold a visa that will allow time for full completion of the project.
- Applicants must be a faculty member at any campus of the University of South Carolina (tenure-track, clinical, research faculty, and adjunct faculty) or clinician/Ph.D./Pharm.D. at the WJB Dorn VA Medical Center.
Additional criteria and requirements are detailed in the SOAR Application Instructions [pdf]