Student and Faculty Accomplishments
Awards and Recognition
- Dr. Tisha Felder has won a National Minority Quality Forum’s 40 under 40 Leaders in Minority Health Award. “The winners are doing amazing things that both better and diversify the healthcare marketplace. They serve as positive role models for our next generation of leaders in minority health.”
- Dr. Jennifer Hulett is the current chair of the Society of Behavioral Medicine's Spirituality & Health special interest group and served as chair-elect in 2018. For the 2019 conference, she organized a panel of 5 expert speakers to discuss spirituality topics. She also presented her research as a late-breaker poster while at the conference.
- Dr. Michael Wirth is the faculty mentor on a paper led by Samantha Truman. The paper is currently under review, and it examines meal-timing and inflammation in relation to BIRAD readings among African-American women in South Carolina.
- Lisa Webb, doctoral student, won The Rising Star of Research and Scholarship Award at the Sigma Theta Tau International Conference for her poster entitled, Exploring Lung Cancer Stigma among African American Survivors of Lung Cancer in South Carolina."
- Dr. Karen Wickersham was Selected for Oncology Nursing Foundation 2019 Research Intensive.
Publications and Presentations
- Dr. Karen McDonnell, David Gallerani, et. al., presented "A Dyad-based Mindfulness Cancer Recovery Program to Reduce Lung Cancer Symptoms for Survivors and Family Members" at the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) in San Francisco, CA.
- Dr. Karen McDonnell and David Gallerani were co-presenters of "Empowering Lung Cancer Survivors and Caregivers to Breathe Easier: Development and Evaluation of a M-Health Intervention" at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in Chicago, IL.
- Lisa Webb, doctoral student, Dr. Karen McDonnell, Dr. Swann Adams, Dr. Tisha Felder, et. al., published "Exploring Stigma among Lung Cancer Survivors: A Scoping Literature Review" in Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Dr. Karen McDonnell, Dr. Robin Dawson Estrada, Dr. Amy Dievendorf, et. al., published "Nurse practitioner knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding lung cancer screening in the United States: Practice guidelines and insurance reimbursement are not enough" in the Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Dr. Karen Wickersham, et. al., published "Differential gene expression in erlotinib-treated fibroblasts" in Nursing Research.
- Dr. Karen Wickersham, et. al., published "Innovative use of patient portals during cancer survivorship: A first step" in the Journal of Oncology Navigation & Survivorship.
- Dr. Karen Wickersham was a co-author on “Just living with them: Rural residents’ experiences with cancer, cancer symptoms, and symptom management," published in Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Dr. Karen Wickersham, et. al., published "Targeted therapy use in adults with cancer ≥ 85 years of age" in Geriatric Nursing.
Cancer Awareness Ribbon