Skip to Content
Founders Award Criteria
Lucy N. Marion Award for Excellence in Fostering Professional Standards
- Demonstrates a leadership role in encouraging the use and promoting the growth of
professional standards.Expands understanding of professional standards to increase
the quality and quantity of practice.
- Utilizes professional standards to advance nursing practice
- Participates in the evolution and / or interpretation of standards of the profession.
Carol R. Collison Award for Excellence in Nursing Practice
- Demonstrates breadth of knowledge in area of clinical nursing practice as recognized
by peers, clients, and public (e.g., national organizations)Develops creative approaches
to nursing practice that contribute to quality nursing care.
- Possesses clinical expertise.
- Advances the scope and practice of nursing through nursing practice.
- Serves as mentor / preceptor that inspires peers’ practice of nursing.
- Enhances the image of nursing through nursing practice.
- Participates in community affairs, legislation, and organizations that affect nursing.
Esther E. Starkey Award for Excellence in Nursing Education
- Demonstrates excellence in teaching.Advances the science of nursing through clarifying,
refining, and/or research through effects of teaching.
- Impacts the professional practice of nursing and the public’s image of nursing through
excellence of teaching.
Myrtle Irene Brown Award for Excellence in Research
- Conducts distinguished research in nursing.
- Communicates nursing research findings.
- Writes scholarly works related to nursing theory and/or nursing research.
- Gives evidence of a history of nursing research activities.
- Encourages research activities within the Alpha Xi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International,
nursing and/or the public.
Amy Viglione Cockcroft Award for Leadership in Nursing
- Receives, local, national, and / or international recognition as a nursing leader
in education, practice, administration, and/or research.Impacts on leadership in nursing
through visionary and innovative approaches to leadership.
- Creates an environment that enhances the image of nurses and the profession of nursing.
- Participates in the development of nursing leaders and leadership.
Helen Gurley Wolford Award for Creativity
- Demonstrates creative activity in nursing education, practice, or research.Advances
the knowledge base of nursing through creative activity.
- Impacts on the image of nursing through creative activity.
- Communicates results of creative activity.
- Fosters creativity in people such as colleagues, students, clients, and health care
- Receives recognition for creative activity.
Blanche Urey Award for Excellence in Chapter Service
- Implements creative chapter activities that achieve the purpose of Sigma Theta Tau
International through the Alpha Xi Chapter.Stimulates the members to contribute to
scholarship in nursing education, practice, and/or research.
- Involves a significant number of members in chapter activities.
- Creates and disseminates significant publicity related to Alpha Xi Chapter and scholarly
Award for Excellence in Clinical Scholarship
- Advances the concept of the clinical scholar, uniting practice and academia.Utilizes
nursing knowledge to improve health care through clinical practice.
- Participates in strengthening the leadership potential of members through enhancement
of the chapter.
- Advances the mission of Sigma Theta Tau International through chapter involvement.