Communications Consulting Services
Students interested in improving their performance on course assignments come for help on researching and organizing material, writing, revising, editing, rehearsing or simply getting started on a project. Others come for help with application essays or personal statements. Work teams come for guidance in preparing collaborative presentations and reports. Alumni come for assistance with business plans, job application cover letters, training projects and proposals.
Most experienced writers will typically ask a second reader for feedback on their work. Whatever your current level of writing ability, these are some of the things we can help you with:
- Writing for academic and nonacademic purposes
- Organizing and rehearsing oral presentations
- Working on team projects
- Using business formats
- Citing references
- Learning to proofread and edit your own work
- Brainstorming ideas
- Making your writing flow
- Conquering procrastination and writer's block
- Developing PowerPoint and visual aids
CBC consultants are like personal trainers. Our job is to work with you to improve your own writing and presentation skills and your ability to evaluate the skills of others. But we do not do the work for you, so you should not expect us to:
- Write for you
- Proofread or edit for you
- Guarantee you a better grade
- Grade papers for you
What To Bring to Your Consultation
Your consultation will be more productive if you bring to the session any items that will clarify the purpose of your writing or presentation, such as:
- Any drafts you have written or an outline of your presentation
- A copy of any instructions such as an assignment sheet from your instructor, submission guidelines for a journal, etc.
- Pertinent textbooks, handouts or course packets
The CBC is the only center of its kind to employ full-time faculty members as consultants. Everyone who works in the center is a member of the Moore School faculty with an advanced degree. In addition to being teachers, our consultants have business and industry experience, are published authors and understand the writing process and what it means to create great work.