We serve the people of South Carolina and beyond through exemplary medical and health education, transformative research, and compassionate patient care.
To be part of a vibrant academic health center that provides access to the best evidence-based
medical care and biomedical education, supported by research and
- Excellence: We are committed to achieving the highest levels of personal and professional performance in all our endeavors.
- Professionalism: We adhere to the highest standards of behavior guided by the values and practices of our professions.
- Collaboration: We partner with individuals, teams, institutions and communities to enhance the value of our efforts.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We create and sustain an inclusive and diverse environment, demonstrating in word and deed our commitment to valuing and supporting each other and those whom we serve.
- Compassion: We are resolute in our efforts to relieve suffering and promote fairness.
Strategic Goals and Objectives
The School of Medicine Five Year Strategic Plan (2017-2022) [pdf] positions us to fulfill our mission to serve the people of South Carolina and beyond through exemplary medical and health education, transformative research, and compassionate patient care.
1. Create a collaborative culture of discovery, innovation, and improvement which will transform healthcare within our health system and community.
- Increase grant funding through enhanced collaboration
- Establish a SOM Translational Research Center
- Establish four new focus areas for interdisciplinary
- Facilitate and encourage professional development for all
SOM faculty and staff
- Increase scholarly contributions of faculty and trainees
2. Strengthen and leverage relationships with key partners to enhance educational, research, clinical, and leadership programs.
- Establish new integrated programs to advance the health of populations in the region.
- Enhance data and analytical capabilities in support of patient care and research, building upon critical partnerships.
- Establish at least one additional dual degree program, certificate program, or executive graduate program.
- Work with clinical partners to expand the number of training sites offering an exemplary care and learning environment.
3. Create an evolving, more clinically-integrated curriculum for SOM students, based upon the needs of students, patients, health systems, and partners, and upon educational and clinical best practices.
- Establish task force to comprehensively review and identify opportunities for improvement of the SOM medical student curriculum.
- Establish task force to review graduate curricula to identify opportunities for expanding interprofessional learning and for synergy with medical student curriculum.
- Establish a SOM Student Learning Success Center.
4. Advance diversity and inclusion, to enhance effectiveness and to prepare a diverse workforce for the people we serve.
- Create a culture that incorporates diversity and inclusion best practices
- Offer annual professional development opportunities around diversity & inclusion.
- Strengthen processes that will contribute to a more diverse and inclusive SOM student
body, faculty, and staff.
- Expand training regarding bias.
- Expand pipeline programs.
- Increase scholarship funding.
5. Plan for new SOM facilities as part of a new USC Health Sciences Campus, positioned as part of a vibrant academic health center.
- Develop vision for new health sciences campus, in partnership with USC and all USC health sciences schools.
- Maintain current SOM facilities to foster ongoing educational and research success.
- In partnership with USC, raise philanthropic support for new medical school facilities.