Moot court is an extracurricular that involves drafting memorials or memoranda and participating in oral argument. Moot court usually refers to a simulated appellate court or arbitral case, while a mock trial usually refers to a simulated jury trial or bench trial.
This organization has been established by students of the University of South Carolina School of Law in order to:
- learn and adopt principles of appellate advocacy
- enhance analytical, writing and oral advocacy skills
- administer intramural moot court competitions at the Law School
- select and prepare teams to represent the Law School at extramural moot court competitions
- encourage respect for the highest standards of professionalism before our state and federal appellate courts
- promote the Moot Court Bar's activities within the Law School, the legal profession and the community at large