Team Advocacy is a project of Protection and Advocacy for People with Disabilities, Inc. (P&A) Trained volunteers, working with staff from P & A, conduct unannounced inspections of SC community residential care facilities. During these inspections volunteers will interview residents seeking information about care, possible abuse and neglect or financial exploitation and available services. The Team report is filed with the appropriate authorities for follow up action. Volunteers can assist anywhere in SC.
Training: individual basis; application
Purpose of pro bono opportunity
- To provide opportunities for law students to work along side the attorneys and clients
- To provide skills development and enhancement opportunities for law students
- To create an awareness of the problems and rewards of being a person with a disability as well as those who represent them.
- To participate in the system that advocates for people with disabilities
Requirements or qualifications
Law students must:
- be a good academic standing
- complete and submit the Volunteer Enrollment Form
- have complete training
- have an interest in serving the disabled population
Responsibilities of organizations
P & A must:
- agree to properly supervise the work of the law student
- provide clear and timely instructions
- provide appropriate training
- provide feedback when possible.
Responsibilities of the students
The students must:
- communicate effectively and efficiently with the P & A and the Team Advocacy leader
- complete tasks in a timely and competent manner
- seek assistance when needed
- perform duties professionally
- treat this volunteer opportunity as if it was a paying or for-credit position
The following Core Skills may be associated with this particular volunteer opportunity. Not all tasks will contain all of these skills. See the complete Core Competencies & Skills Inventory for more details.
- Core Skill: Oral Communication and Listening Abilities
- Core Skill: Critical Reading Abilities
- Core Skill: Task Organization and Management
- Core Skills: Professionalism