Similar to serving as a guardian ad litem for abuse and neglect children, this project has vulnerable adults as its focus. Training will be provided and will include topics ranging from physical abuse and neglect to financial exploitation. Volunteers will be expected to conduct a thorough review of the assigned case including visits to the alleged victim. Family Court hearings and reports are also required. SC VAGAL Staff will provide supervision and assistance.
Purpose of pro bono opportunity
- To provide opportunities for law students to work with an organization advocating on behalf of abused, neglected and exploited adults
- To provide skills development and enhancement opportunities for law students
- To create an awareness of the problems and rewards faced by vulnerable adults
- To observe the SC court system in action
- To assist the Family Court by researching facts, assessing situations, interviewing and in filing a report
Requirements or qualifications
Law students must:
- be a good academic standing
- complete and submit the Volunteer Enrollment Form
- have completed and application, 10 hours of training; attended two hearing
- have an interest in serving the indigent and vulnerable population
Responsibilities of organizations
SC Vulnerable Adult Guardian ad Litem Program must:
- agree to properly supervise the work of the law student
- provide clear and timely instructions
- seek opportunities to expose the students to various tasks
- provide feedback when possible.
- communicate with the students about available hearings and cases.
Responsibilities of the students
The students must:
- communicate effectively and efficiently with the Program staff
- complete tasks in a timely and competent manner
- seek assistance when needed
- perform duties professionally
- treat this volunteer opportunity as if it was a paying or for-credit position
The following Core Skills may be associated with this particular volunteer opportunity. Not all tasks will contain all of these skills. See the complete Core Competencies & Skills Inventory for more details.
- Core Skill: Oral Communication and Listening Abilities
- Core Skill: Writing Skills
- Core Skill: Critical Reading Abilities
- Core Skill: Task Organization and Management
- Core Skills: Professionalism