Volunteers will assist with providing Orders of Protection to victims of domestic violence. Working with Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands and Sistercare atttorneys, volunteers will help guide victims through the legal process. This is an intense project with great rewards.
Training: Criminal record check, training and in-service required.
Purpose of Organizations
- To provide opportunities for law students to work along side the attorneys and clients in the domestic violence system in SC
- To provide skills development and enhancement opportunities for law students
- To create an awareness of the problems and rewards of being a advocate
- To observe the SC court system in action
Requirements or Qualifications
Law students must:
- be in good academic standing
- complete and submit the Volunteer Enrollment Form
- have an interest in serving the abused population
Responsibilities of Organization
Domestic Violence Advocates Office must:
- agree to properly supervise the work of the law student
- provide clear and timely instructions
- seek opportunities to expose the students to various tasks
- provide feedback when possible.
Responsibilities of the Students
The students must:
- communicate effectively and efficiently with the Domestic Violence office and the supervising attorney
- complete tasks in a timely and competent manner
- seek assistance when needed
- perform duties professionally
- treat this volunteer opportunity as if it was a paying or for-credit position
The following Core Skills may be associated with this particular volunteer opportunity. Not all tasks will contain all of these skills. See the complete Core Competencies & Skills Inventory for more details.
- Core Skill: Oral Communication and Listening Abilities
- Core Skill: Critical Reading Abilities
- Core Skill: Task Organization and Management
- Core Skills: Professionalism