Deadline to Submit Application and all other Materials: 5:00 pm, February 1, 2020
The Early Acceptance Program (EAP) at UofSC School of Medicine - Greenville provides an opportunity for current USC juniors to apply for and obtain early acceptance to the medical school. This opportunity represents an additional application process similar in nature to the early decision program, also offered by the school. Selection through EAP occurs no later than July 31 preceding the student’s senior year of college.
Applicants offered a position have two weeks to accept, after which the decision is binding.
Current juniors who have completed four semesters at the Columbia campus of USC are eligible to apply to the EAP. Applicants may major in any area of study and must have a minimum institutional GPA of 3.75* at the time of application.
*If GPA is currently below 3.75 or may be below 3.75 at the time of application, you may submit a request asking for consideration to apply. This request should include the context for which the GPA is lower. Also describe areas that you believe strengthen your application, such as clinical experiences; extracurricular activities; leadership; community service; obstacles overcome; life experiences. Send this request to Lucy Conaway, UofSC SOM Greenville Admissions Coordinator, at email@example.com. Requests will be evaluated by the Greenville admissions team on a case-by-case basis.
Required Pre-requisite Coursework
The following courses must be completed at the University of South Carolina with no grade below a “C” by the end of the fall semester of the junior year. Pre-requisite courses completed at another institution, including dual credit courses taken during high school, must receive an exemption. This exemption request may be submitted to the USC EAP Committee, prior to application, for consideration.
Note additional pre-requisites new for this year: Second semester of Organic Chemistry with lab, and Biochemistry with or without lab.
- BIOL 101/L: Biological Principles I with lab
- BIOL 102/L: Biological Principles II with lab
- CHEM 111/L: General Chemistry I with lab OR CHEM 141: Principles of Chemistry I
- CHEM 112/L: General Chemistry II with lab OR CHEM 142: Principles of Chemistry II
- CHEM 333 with 331L: Organic Chemistry I with lab (CHEM 333L also accepted)
- CHEM 334 with 332L: Organic Chemistry II with lab (CHEM 334L also accepted)
- PHYS 201/L: General Physics I with lab OR PHYS 211/L: Essentials of Physics I with lab
- BIOL 541: Biochemistry with or without lab (BIOL 545 or BIOL 546 also accepted)
- A minimum of three courses in the areas of English, Humanities, and Social/Behavioral Sciences must be completed by the end of the junior year (with at least one semester of English composition/literature). This would typically be PSYC 101, SOCY 101 and ENGL 101, but higher-level courses from these departments are accepted.
- Recommended courses include the second semester of physics, cell and molecular biology, and genetics.
- Replacement Courses: To apply AP/IB credit for any of the pre-requisite courses, the
following must occur:
- The credit must appear on the transcript as USC course equivalent credit.
- There must be equivalent subject matter coursework taken at USC in place of each AP/IB course. For example, an upper level biology is required to replace taking BIOL 101. Minimum GPA requirements apply to all replacement courses.
- No course may be completed on a Pass-Fail basis; a grade of “P” will not be accepted.
- Science Prerequisites, including all replacement courses, must be completed by the end of the fall semester, junior year.
- Non-Science Prerequisites must be completed by the end of spring semester of the junior year.
Applicants are encouraged but not required to have an MCAT score at the time of the interview. Any current score may be reported on the application. Applicants may take the MCAT exam on more than one occasion. All scores must be received no later than July 31 just prior to the senior year. If multiple exams have been taken, the applicant’s best score will be considered. New for this year: A minimum MCAT score will no longer be required but remains an important component of the application review.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters are required at the time of application. At least one of these letters must be from a science faculty member at the University of South Carolina.
- Inform your letter writers of your waiver decision in writing. It is also useful to provide them with general guidelines for writing an effective letter of recommendation for medical school. Contact Dr. Hood at the email address below for more information.
- Letters must be submitted by the author by the February 1 deadline and cannot be submitted by the student.
- The letter must be on organizational letterhead if the individual is a member of an institution.
- The letter must be signed.
- Have your letter writer submit the recommendation to Lucy Conaway at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are expected to obtain healthcare experience (patient-focused hours, observation) and participate in volunteer, community, and campus-wide extracurricular activities as expected of all students preparing for application to medical school. A minimum number of healthcare experience-related hours is not required; however, students are expected to gain enough experience to enable them to demonstrate during an interview a broad understanding of the expectations, responsibilities, and accountabilities of a physician.
Please notify the contacts below of your intent to apply. This will allow the UofSC EAP Committee to assist you in the process. You are not under obligation to complete the application and you may withdraw at any time.
Up to 10 applicants will be selected for interview by the admissions committee at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville.
Selected applicants will be interviewed and evaluated by the admissions committee at UofSC School of Medicine Greenville in late March or early April. Within 2 weeks of their interview, students will receive one of three possible updates on the status of their application:
- Notification of an offer of acceptance – applicable only to those applicants who have an MCAT score at the time of their interview.
- Notification that a final decision will be made no later than July 31 following receipt of an MCAT score.
- Notification that the application has been denied.
Up to 5 of the interviewed applicants will be accepted through the EAP.
Accepted applicants must accept or reject their acceptance within 2 weeks; a matriculation deposit of $250 is required.
Applicants who accept the offer of admission to UofSC SOM Greenville through the Early Acceptance Program will be approved by UofSC SOM Greenville to submit an AMCAS application as an early assurance applicant to formally enter the system. The AMCAS application fee will be waived. AMCAS does not require letters of recommendation in this case but does require an official transcript.
Applicants who accept the offer of admission to UofSC School of Medicine Greenville through the Early Acceptance Program cannot apply to any other medical schools during the same application cycle; an offer of admission must be formally rejected before applicants will be allowed to apply to other medical schools through AMCAS in the same application cycle.
Students not accepted into the Early Acceptance Program are welcome to reapply to UofSC School of Medicine Greenville as an early decision or regular decision applicant through AMCAS. If the application is deemed competitive, the applicant will be required to interview again.
Steps To Apply
- Access the application below (either click on the link or copy/paste the link into
your device’s URL bar). The application cannot be downloaded or saved in sections. It is strongly recommended that you create a Word document with all data fields
to complete offline (‘Select All’ then copy/paste), and then transfer information
back into the application.
- Submit the application online by no later than 5:00 pm, February 1, 2020.
- Have three recommenders submit letters of recommendation by no later than 5:00 pm, February 1, 2020 to email@example.com.
- Submit official transcript (requested through Self-Service Carolina) to the UofSC School of Medicine Greenville by no later than 5:00 pm, February 1, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your MCAT score must be received by the UofSC School of Medicine Greenville by no later than July 31, 2020.
Contacts for USC Early Acceptance Program
For SCHC Students:
Mrs. Elizabeth Leverette
Director of Pre-Med Programs
Email (preferred method): email@example.com
Harper College, Room 127
For non-SCHC Students:
Ms. Eileen Korpita
Director of the Office of Pre-Professional Advising
Email (preferred method): firstname.lastname@example.org
Sumwalt College, Room 208B