In order to participate in Revocation and be certified for graduating with honors from the South Carolina Honors College, students are required to submit a final copy of the revised thesis project/paper (post-defense) to the Honors College. There are several guidelines to follow when submitting your thesis.
The following is the standard format for an honors thesis or project paper. While not every thesis paper will include the same sections and items, the following can be used as a general guideline.
- Title Page (REQUIRED: view the forms page for an example)
- Table of Contents (REQUIRED)
- Thesis Summary (REQUIRED): appearing after the Table of Contents written in less formal and less technical terminology than the Abstract or Introduction. Must be included in the Table of Contents
- Main Body
- Endnotes, Works Cited or References (required if sources are quoted.)
- Tables, Graphs, Photos, Maps, etc. (if appropriate)
- Bibliography (required if no Endnotes, Works Cited or References section is included)
- Appendix(ces) (if appropriate)
All pages must be numbered consecutively.
Final Copies of Theses
You will submit your final copy of your thesis to the Honors College electronically. The final copy of your thesis should have the following sections regardless of discipline or project type. Copies that fail to contain these elements will not be accepted.
- Thesis Title Page (Signed by your thesis director and second reader)
- Thesis Summary or Abstract
- Table of Contents
Students have the option of publishing their thesis in Scholar Commons, an institutional repository established through Thomas Cooper Library that provides digital open access to information.
On occasion, there is a need for delayed release, commonly referred to as an embargo. An embargo may be appropriate for some types of creative work, intellectual property with commercial implications, politically sensitive materials, and limited other types of work. When submitting your thesis to Scholar Commons, you can select one of the following options:
- Release the work immediately for worldwide access on the Internet via Scholar Commons.
- Secure the work for two years, and then release the work for worldwide access on the Internet.
- I do not want my senior thesis made available via Scholar Commons.
It is customary for students to present their thesis/project director with a bound copy of the thesis. Such thoughtfulness is seen as a professional courtesy.
Students can submit a thesis for binding through the HF Group website: Thesis On Demand. After submitting the required contact information and paper for binding, you will select the following options:
- Red book with cloth cover material
- Gold lettering on the spine (no front cover printing)
- 60# weight paper, single side printing.
Students will pay HF Group directly.