During the University’s New Student Orientation program, you will learn a lot about the university as a whole and get information valuable to your specific major. The Honors College hosts a separate and required orientation for our freshmen. More information, including scheduled dates and times, are available on our Honors Orientation page.
Honors Advisement and Course Registration
To begin your UofSC academic career, we will need to register you for your classes. Priority registration before New Student Orientation is one of the benefits of being a South Carolina Honors College student because you can register for courses (Honors and non-Honors) before other first-year students. You should expect to be in approximately 1-3 Honors classes with the remaining being non-Honors classes for your major.
Honors registration for fall 2020 will occur by phone or by online video conference between May 18 and June 5 before you attend orientation. In this 45-60 minute appointment, your Honors advisor will advise you on courses for your major, review Honors requirements and enroll you in classes (Honors and non-Honors). You will discuss how AP/IB or dual enrollment courses would be applied in your major and learn about events, programs and opportunities for Honors freshman.
Student are assigned an Honors advisor who has knowledge of their intended academic major. Your Honors advisor will assist you in fulfilling Honors graduation requirements by enrolling you in Honors courses that meet academic major, minor, and Honors requirements.
Changing A Major
If you are contemplating changing your academic major before the fall semester, participate in an upcoming New Student Major Change Interest Webinar. You can also schedule an appointment with an Exploratory Advisor using their online form.
Thursday, May 21//4:00 PM: New Student Major Change Interest Webinar
Preparing for your Advising Appointment
- Allot approximately 60 minutes for this appointment. Avoid traveling in a car or being in a nosy or crowded area.
- Make sure you have internet access and have logged into my.sc.edu with your USC ID. You will need to have a computer available during the appointment to view major and Honors requirements.
- Familiarize yourself with all degree requirements of both the Honors College and your intended academic major using the Major Map Repository and Honors College website.
- Select classes for the fall by looking at Honors courses and major requirements and accessing my.sc.edu. View the curriculum sheet for your intended academic major. Look at required classes and then use Schedule Planner in my.sc.edu to build a mock schedule prior to your advising phone call.
Steps for Scheduling Your Advising Appointment
Complete the following steps in order to schedule your advising appointment to get registered for your classes:
- Log into your UofSC student email account. You can check your UofSC student email at outlook.com/email.sc.edu using the password you set when you accessed Self Service Carolina. Your Honors advisor will use this email account for all correspondence.
- Complete the Math Placement Test (even if you have AP/IB credit). All students must meet the prerequisite for any collegiate math course that they take at UofSC. Please take the test at least two days prior to your Honors advising appointment. We will not be able to enroll you in a math class or certain other courses that require math pre-requisites (i.e. chemistry) until you have completed the MPT.
- Schedule your foreign language placement exam on the Foreign Language Placement web page. If you plan to start a new language, you will need to complete the Language Exemption Online Form to receive approval before you will be enrolled in a language class.
- Complete the SCHC Pre-Advising Online form where you will provide AP/IB scores (both confirmed and anticipated) or other past college credit, confirm your intended major and submit any questions for your assigned Honors advisor. This information will help your Honors advisor prepare for your phone appointment.
- Students who have submitted the SCHC Pre-Advising Online Form will be emailed a link to sign up for their Honors phone advising appointment. Check your UofSC email for the link from your assigned honors advisor to sign up for appointments beginning Monday, May 18th.
We have several Honors College students who play a collegiate sport at the University. Prior to your advising appointment, contact your coach/assistant coach and ask for the practice schedule. You can use schedule planner to add these times and build a fall schedule.
Contact the USC Band Office at 803-777-4278 or email@example.com.
We want you to report the score you think you will receive when you submit the Pre-Orientation
Worksheet. Honors students are usually correct in their guess based on their academic
Contact your Honors advisor so they can make any adjustments to your schedule.
Yes. On the UofSC Admissions Portal, students can request to make changes to their application in the bottom right corner. After logging in, click the drop down box for “Application Change Requests,” then select the “Request to Change First-Choice Major” option.
Information will be sent to all incoming freshmen in mid-to-late May, along with access to an online application. Please inform your Honors advisor during phone registration if you intend to apply. You’ll receive any necessary follow-up advising for fall coursework after application submission.