Honors Session at New Student Orientation (Day 2)
During the University’s New Student Orientation program, you will learn a lot about the University as a whole and get information valuable to your specific major. Orientation is split up into two days; the first day will consist of general university programs. In the afternoon of the second day, there is an Honors College session that is led by staff and student ambassadors. This session is mandatory for you to attend and usually ends by 4pm.
Honors Advisement and Course Registration
To begin your USC academic career, we will need to register you for fall 2019 classes. Priority registration before New Student Orientation is one of the benefits of being a South Carolina Honors College student because you can register for courses (Honors and non-Honors) before other first-year students. You should expect to be in approximately 1 - 2 honors classes with the remaining being non-Honors classes for your major.
Student are assigned an Honors advisor who has knowledge of their intended academic major. Your Honors advisor will assist with fulfilling Honors graduation requirements by enrolling you in Honors courses that meet academic major, minor, and Honors requirements.
Advising and Course Registration Appointment
Honors registration for fall 2019 will occur via phone between May 21 and June 5 before you come to campus for orientation. In this 30 – 45 minute appointment, your Honors advisor will advise you on courses for your major, review Honors requirements and enroll you in classes. You can discuss how AP/IB or dual enrollment courses would be applied in your major and learn about events and programs for Honors freshmen (e.g. peer mentoring, Flotilla, Convocation).
Preparing for your Advising Appointment
· Allot at least 45 minutes for this appointment. Avoid traveling in a car or being in a noisy or crowded area.
· Make sure you have Internet access and have logged into my.sc.edu with your USC ID. You will need to have a computer available during the appointment to view major and Honors requirements
· Select classes for the fall by looking at Honors courses and major requirements and accessing my.sc.edu. View the curriculum sheet for your intended academic major. Look at required classes and then use Schedule Planner in my.sc.edu to build a mock schedule prior to your advising phone call.
Steps to schedule your advising appointment to register for fall 2019 classes:
1. Complete the Math Placement Test (even if you have AP/IB credit). All students must meet the prerequisite for any collegiate math course that they take at USC. Please take the test at least two days prior to your Honors advising appointment. We will not be able to enroll you into a math class and potentially a science class (e.g. Chemistry) until you have completed the MPT.
2. Complete the Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet and upload this document to the Honors College Freshmen Information webform by May 10 to receive directions for scheduling your advising appointment. Students who submit the Information Form after May 10th may have their appointment scheduled after May 28.
We have several Honors College students who play a collegiate sport at the University. Prior to your advising appointment, contact your coach/assistant coach and ask for the practice schedule. You can use schedule planner to add these times and build a fall schedule.
Contact the USC Band Office at 803-777-4278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want you to report the score you think you will receive when you submit the Pre-Orientation
Worksheet. Honors students are usually correct in their guess based on their academic
Contact your Honors advisor so they can make any adjustments to your schedule.
Yes. To change your major, contact the Office of Admissions at 803-777-7700 and ask to speak with an Admissions Counselor. You will be able to change your major at New Student Orientation.
Information will be sent to all incoming freshmen in mid-to-late May, along with access to an online application. Please inform your Honors advisor during phone registration if you intend to apply. You’ll receive any necessary follow-up advising for fall coursework after application submission.