Skip to Content

Coronavirus: Get complete details about the university's response to COVID-19.

My Honors College

Honors Option (H-Option)

An Honors Option (H-Option) is an opportunity for an Honors student to be granted permission to receive Honors credit for a course that is not being offered by the Honors College. H-Options are only granted in unusual circumstances, primarily when a student needs a particular Honors credit in a discipline that offers few Honors courses.

Students must complete an application in order for a course they are enrolled in to be considered for an H-Option.

An H-Option is based on a written agreement between the student and professor and must be approved by the Honors College.

H-Option considerations for the student and the professor:

  • H-Option work in courses that are at the 200-500 level must be distinguished in a substantive way from what usually would be expected in the normal, non-Honors, course. Simply assigning a greater quantity of work (for example, a longer term paper or extra reading) does not constitute H-Option work. A student, and his or her corresponding professor, must demonstrate how H-Option work will allow the student to engage more deeply with the subject matter and the professor. 
  • If the course is a 500-level course or above, a student should complete the graduate-level requirements for the course to satisfy H-Option requirements.  Graduate-level requirements should be clearly outlined in the course syllabus, per UofSC policy, and the student should provide a copy of the syllabus with the H-Option application.
  • The H-Option is not available to freshmen, and usually cannot be exercised for courses regularly offered by the Honors College, for 100-level courses, or for summer courses.
  • A student will be limited to no more than three H-Option courses in his or her undergraduate career, and usually no more than one in a semester.
  • The decision to exercise the H-Option in a course must be made prior to the last date to add a course according to the University calendar, and must be made in consultation with the student’s Honors College advisor.

H-Option Proposal Submission

To submit an H-Option proposal application, you should first connect with your Honors advisor about pursuing an H-Option. Then, you should meet with the professor teaching the corresponding course to see if the professor is willing to oversee your H-Option work. The faculty member must complete the Faculty/Student H-Option Contract. Once the contract is completed, you will then upload the completed contract, the course syllabus, and fill out the information below to complete your submission.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.