To obtain the NE Minor students must complete six courses including four required (core) classes and two electives.
Courses for the NE minor may also be dual counted for your BS degree program’s elective requirements. Consult with your advisor to confirm this possibility.
- EMCH 552: Introduction to Nuclear Engineering (Fall)
- EMCH 553: Nuclear Fuel Cycles (Spring)
- EMCH 557: Introduction to Radiation Shielding and Sources (Fall)
- EMCH 558: Introduction to Reactor Systems (Spring)
Any College of Engineering and Computing Departmental or Technical Elective courses with a particular nuclear energy emphasis as approved by the nuclear engineering curriculum committee in the Department of Mechanical Engineering (see current list below):
- EMCH 555: Radiation Detection and Instrumentation (Spring)
- EMCH 556: Introduction to Risk Analysis and Reactor Safety (Fall)
- EMCH 550: Introduction to Nuclear Safeguards (Summer)
- EMCH 561: Nuclear Fuel Materials and Behavior (Fall)
- EMCH 573: Introduction to Nuclear Materials (Fall)
Additional elective options outside the College:
- PHYS 307: Intro Modern Physics
- PHYS 511: Nuclear Physics
**(Revised Fall 2012 - Previous courses listed and completed prior to Spring 2013 are valid for the minor)