Faculty and Staff
John W. Weidner
|Title:||Professor, Chemical Engineering
Chair & CEC Campaign for Excellence Professor
|College of Engineering and Computing|
|Website:||Hydrogen and Fuel Cell|
Swearingen Engineering Center
CV of Dr. Weidner
Ph.D., North Carolina State University, 1991
B.S., University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1986
Professor Weidner's research group is involved in the synthesis and characterization of electrochemically active materials, and the design and operation of electrochemical processes. They have created novel synthesis routines, used a variety of electrocanalytical techniques, and developed sophisticated mathematical models to advance the fields of advanced batteries, electrochemical capacitors, fuel cells, and electrolysis involving gas-fed anodes (e.g., HBr, HCl, SO2). Their current research projects related to hydrogen and alternative energy. They are: 1) predicting the effect of volume change in intercalation electrodes (e.g., lithium in silicon); 2) synthesizing novel bi- and tri-metallic electrocatalysts for proton-exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells and direct methanol fuel cells (DMFC); and 3) designing electrolyzers and developing electrocatalysts for use in thermochemical cycles for large scale hydrogen production from solar and nuclear energy.
- T. R. Garrick, K. Higa, S. Wu, Y. Dai, X. Huang, V. Srinivasan, and J. W. Weidner, “Modeling Battery Performance Due to Intercalation Driven Volume Change in Porous Electrodes,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 164(11), E3592-E3597, 2017.
- S. Shimpalee, S. Hirano, M. DeBolt, V. Lilavivat, J. W. Weidner and Y. Khunatorn, “Macro-scale Analysis of Large Scale PEM Fuel Cell Flow-Fields for Automotive Applications,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 164(11), E3073-E3080, 2017.
- B. A. Tavakoli-Mehrabadi, H. N. Dinh, and G. Bender, and J. W. Weidner, “Effect of System Contaminants on the Performance of a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 163(14), F1527-F1534, 2016.
- B. A. Tavakoli-Mehrabadi, J. W. Weidner, B. L. Garcia-Diaz, M. J. Martinez-Rodriguez, L. C. Olsen, and S. Shimpalee, “Multidimensional Modeling of Nickel Alloy Corrosion inside High Temperature Molten Salt Systems,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 163(14), C830-C838, 2016.
- J. W. Weidner “Electrolyzer Performance for Producing Hydrogen via a Solar-Driven Hybrid-Sulfur Process,” J. App. Electrochem., 46, 829-839, 2016.
- T. R. Garrick, W. Diao, J. M. Tengco, J. Monnier, and J. W. Weidner, “The Effect of the Surface Composition of Ru-Pt Bimetallic Catalysts for Methanol Oxidation,” Electrochim. Acta, 195, 106-111, 2016.
- S. Balasubramanian and J. W. Weidner, “Analysis of an Electrochemical Filter for Removing CO from Reformate,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 162(10), E231-E236, 2015.