Faculty and Staff
|Department:||Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering and Computing
300 Main Street C109
Columbia, SC 29208
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Civil-Geotechnical Engineering, University of South Carolina. 2016-Present
- PhD, Civil-Geotechnical Engineering, University of South Carolina. 2012-2016
- MSc, Civil-Geotechnical Engineering, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman. 2008-2011
- BSc, Civil Engineering, Vali-e-Asr University of Rafsanjan. 2003-2008
- Gheibi, E., Gassman, S., Hasek, M. and Talwani, P. (2017). “Assessment of Paleoseismic Shaking that Caused a Sand Blow at Fort Dorchester, SC.” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, PP 1-19.
- Khabiri, M., Khishdari, A., and Gheibi, E. (2017). “Effect of Tyre Powder Penetration on Stress and Stability of the Road Embankments” Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, 18 (4). 966-979. DOI:10.1080/14680629.2016.1194879
- Gassman, S., Sasanakul, I., Pierce, C., Gheibi, E., Starcher, R., Ovalle, W., and Rahman, M. (2017). “Failures of Pipe Culverts from a 1000-Year Rainfall Event in South Carolina”. Geotechnical Special Publication, Geo-Frontier 2017. GSP 277, PP 114-124, DOI: 10.1061/9780784480441.013.
- Sasanakul, I., Gassman, S., Pierce, C., Ovalle, W., Starcher, R., Gheibi, E., and Rahman, M. (2017). “Dam Failures from 1000-Year Rainfall Event in South Carolina”. Geotechnical Special Publication, Geo-Frontier 2017. GSP 278, PP 244-254, DOI: 10.1061/9780784480458.024.
- Gheibi, E., and Gassman, S. (2016). “Application of GMPEs to Estimate the Minimum Magnitude and Peak Ground Acceleration of Prehistoric Earthquakes at Hollywood, SC.” Journal of Engineering Geology, 214, 60-66. DOI: 10.1016/j.enggeo.2016.09.016
- Gheibi, E., Sasanakul, I., Sanin, M. and Puebla, H. (2016). “Effect of Temperature on Dynamic Properties of Asphaltic Core for an Earth Dam”. Geotechnical Special Publication, Geo-Chicago 2016. GSP 272, PP 266-275, DOI: 10.1061/9780784480151.027.
- Gheibi, E., and Gassman, S. (2017). “Regional Assessment of Prehistoric Earthquake Magnitudes in the South Carolina Coastal Plain.” Natural Hazards, Submitted.
- Gheibi, E. and Gassman, S. (2015). “Magnitudes of Prehistoric Earthquakes at the Hollywood, South Carolina Site”. Geotechnical Special Publication, GSP 256, PP 1246-1256. DOI: 10.1061/9780784479087.112.
- Gheibi, E. and Gassman, S. (2014). “Reassessment of Prehistoric Earthquake Accelerations at Sampit and Gapway Sites in the South Carolina Coastal Plain”. Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (distributor), Paper, DOI:10.4231/D3PV6B73Z.
- Gheibi, E., Gassman, S. and Tavakoli, A. (2014). “Using Regression Model to Predict Cyclic Resistance Ratio at South Carolina Coastal Plain (SCCP)”. Advanced Analytics (distributor), Paper, DOI:10.13140/2.1.4893.4081
- Gheibi, E. and Bagheripour, M. H. (2011). “Effect of Parameters on Equivalent Number of Cycles Using Nonlinear Seismic Site Response Analysis”, Journal of Advanced Materials Research. Vol: 255-260. PP 2365-2369.
- Gheibi, E. and Bagheripour, M. H. (2011). “Soil Liquefaction Potential Assessment Using Nonlinear Site Response Analysis”.Proc. 6th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology. Tehran, Iran.
- Gheibi, E. and Bagheripour, M. H. (2011). “Alterations of Equivalent Number of Cycles in Depth of Soil Profile”. Proc. 6th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Tehran, Iran.
- Gheibi, E. and Bagheripour, M. H. (2010). “Evaluation of the Equivalent Number of Cycles in Liquefaction Potential Study Using Energy Approach”. Proc. 4th International Conference on Geotechnical Engineering and Soil Mechanics, Tehran, Iran.
Areas of Specialization:
- Geotechnical engineering with emphasis on geotechnical earthquake engineering
- Improve seismic hazard assessment, considering effect of time on geotechnical properties.
- Consequences of liquefaction
- Foundation engineering
- Advanced soil testing; resonant column testing with temperature control
- Ground improvement; grouting, pre-compression and reinforcement
- Risk assessment modeling for liquefaction and landslide hazards
- Applied geotechnical design
- Road and dams safety
- Geotechnical and transportation engineering
- Statistical analysis
- Ground Motion Prediction Equation (GMPE)
- Engineering Education
Fellowships, Honors and Awards
- Selected Publications, 2016
The New York Climate Change Science Clearinghouse (NYCCSC).
International Student Merit Scholarship, 2015
- SPARC Fellowship, 2014-2015
- T. Y. CHU Scholarship, 2012-2013, 2013-2014 and 2014-2015
- The Deep Foundation Institute (DFI) Educational Trust. 2017
- Full Fellowship of Science Ministry, 2008-2011
- Ranked 2nd Among all of the M.Sc. Students of Geotechnical Engineering, 2011