Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Dr. Buckner is a nuclear engineer with over 33 years of experience at Savannah River Site (SRS), having served for 14 years with Westinghouse, and 19 years with DuPont in a wide variety of professional and management positions. At SRS, he has served as the Technical and Regulatory Lead of the Accelerator Production of Tritium (APT) Project (2 yrs.), the Section Manager of the Applied Technology Section (3 yrs.), Scientific Computations (4 yrs.), Nuclear Engineering, Fabrication, and Robotics (4 yrs.) and Reactor Physics (1 yr.). He is currently the Program Manager of University Relations and Senior Consultant in the Savannah River Technology Center (SRTC) for Site Integration and Program Development activities.
At present, Dr. Buckner is involved in the coordination of university programs for SRS and is the liaison with Site Integration and Program Development for new mission activities such as plutonium disposition, advanced fuel cycle initiatives, and the SRS energy park including nuclear hydrogen production and university research reactor. He is also responsible for professional recruiting for SRTC (primarily of candidates with MS or PhD degrees).
- Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1970
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1968
- B.S., Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1966
- Buckner, M. and T. L. Sanders. "Enhancing Global Nuclear Proliferation Management." Nuclear News, La Grange Park, Illinois, February 2002
- Buckner, M. "Medical Isotope Production with a High-energy Accelerator." Proceedings of Global ’99 International Conference on Future Nuclear Systems, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, August 1999
- Buckner, M. et. al. "The APT Facility at SRS." Proceedings of the 32nd Midyear Topical Meeting of the Health Physics Society on Creation and Future Legacy of Stockpile Stewardship. Albuquerque, New Mexico, January 1999
- Buckner, M. "Plutonium Disposition Now!" Proceedings of International Conference on Evaluation of Emerging Nuclear Fuel Cycle Systems, Vol. II, Versailles, France, September 1995
- Buckner, M. et. al. "Weapons-Grade Plutonium Disposition in Pressurized Water Reactors." Nuclear Science and Engineering, 121: 1-16, 1995