Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Curriculum Vitae [pdf]
Dr. Banerjee's expertise and research interest includes Computational NDE/SHM, Material State Awareness, Smart Structure/Energy Harvesting, Mechatronics/Robotics, Biomimetic and Metamaterials.
Banerjee’s Current Research is spanned across the following primary fields
- Computational Acoustics and Ultrasonics: physics based predictive modeling of acoustics & ultrasonic waves in solids, fluids, composites & engineered metamaterials; impact mitigation and wave suppression; computational nondestructive evaluation (NDE) & structural health monitoring (SHM).
- Material State Awareness: composites damage precursors; predictive material degradation; progressive damage assessment at multiple scales; experimental NDE and SHM of materials and structures
- System Identification: Signal Processing; Big-Data analysis; Surrogate modeling of complex systems
- Mechatronics Multifunctional Materials & Metamaterials (4M): smart materials; sensor technology; acoustic/ultrasonic energy harvesting; acoustic/ultrasonic wave guiding, tunneling, lensing, topological manipulation, acoustic computing.
- AcoustoBiomechanics, Bio-Origami & Programmable Matter: exploring the physics of acoustics in nature to device new devices / sensors; metamaterial applications; computationally predict the complex dynamics of bioorganisms.
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics (Major) & Applied Mathematics (Minor), University of Arizona, Tucson, August 2005.
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), India, May 2000.
- Breakthrough Star Award 2019, by Office of Vice President of Research (VPR), USC
- Michael J. Mungo Teaching Award 2017, by the Provost Office, USC
- Achenbach Medal to recognize the outstanding contribution as a young researcher in the field of structural health monitoring. IWSHM 2011, by Embraer.
- DAAD Scholar, 2001. Honored by German Academic Exchange Program Service, Germany.
- Indaleeb, M.M., Banerjee, S., Hossain A., Saadatzi, MS., Ahmed, R., Deaf band based engineered Dirac cone in a periodic acoustic metamaterial: A numerical and experimental study, Physical Review B, Vol. 99, 024311, 2019. ; https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.99.024311.
- Tavaf, V., Banerjee, S., Quantification of degraded constitutive coefficients of composites in the presence of distributed defects, Journal of Composite Materials, 2019 (Accepted)
- Saadatzi, MS., Saadatzi, Mir, F., Saadatzi, M. N., Banerjee, S., Modeling and Fabrication of a Multi-axial Piezoelectric Energy Harvester based on a Metamaterial-inspired Structure, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol 18, No. 22, pp. 9410-9419.
- Shrestha, S., Ahmed, R., Banerjee, S., (2018) Virtual Nondestructive Evaluation of Anisotropic Plates Using Symmetry Informed Sequential Mapping of Anisotropic Green’s function (SISMAG), Ultrasonics, Vol 88, pp 53-61
- Saadatzi, MS., Saadatzi, M. N., Tavaf, V., Banerjee, S., AEVE 3D Acousto-Electrodynamic 3Dimensional Vibration Exciter for Engineering Testing, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1897-1906.
- Patra, S., Banerjee, S., (2017), Material State Awareness for Composites Part II: Precursor Damage Analysis and Quantification of Degraded Material Properties Using Quantitative Ultrasonic Image Correlation (QUIC), Materials, Vol. 10(12), pp. 1444
- Ahmed, R., Banerjee, S., (2018) An Articulated Predictive Model for Fluid-free Artificial Basilar Membrane as Broadband Frequency Sensor, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 100, pp. 766-781.
- Patra, S., Ahmed, H., Banerjee, S., (2018) Peri-Elastodynamic Simulations of Guided Ultrasonic Waves in Plate-Like Structure with Surface Mounted PZT, Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 274, pp. 1-16.
- Ahmed, R., Mir, F., Banerjee, S., A Review on Energy Harvesting Approaches for Renewable Energies from Ambient Vibrations & Acoustic Waves using Piezoelectricity, Smart Materials and Structures, Vol 26, Number 8, (27pp).
- Ahmed, R., Banerjee, S., A Sub-Wavelength Scale Acoustoelastic Sonic Crystal for Harvesting Energies at very Low Frequencies (<~1 KHz) using Controlled Geometric Configurations, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, DOI: 10.1177/1045389X16645863
- Lin, X., Terejanu, G., Shrestha, S., Banerjee, S., Chanda, A., (2016) Bayesian Model Selection Framework for Identifying Growth Patterns in Filamentous Fungi, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Vol. 398, pp. 85-95.
- Patra, S., Banerjee, S., Terejanu, G., Chanda, A., (2015) Subsurface pressure profiling: a novel mathematical paradigm for computing colony pressures on substrate during fungal infections, Scientific Reports 5, 12928
- Banerjee, S., Gummadidala PM, Rima RA, Ahmed RU, Kenne GJ, Mitra C, Gomaa OM, Hill J, McFadden S, Banaszek N, Fayad R, Terejanu G,Chanda A, (2014), "Quantitative acoustic contrast tomography reveals unique multiscale physical fluctuations during aflatoxin synthesis in Aspergillus parasiticus", Fungal Genetics and Biology, Oct 10. pii: S1087-1845(14)00189-3. doi: 10.1016/j.fgb.2014.10.006
- Banerjee, S., Qing, X. P., Beard, S., Chang, F. K., (2009) 'Prediction of Progressive Damage States at the Hot Spots using Statistical Estimation', Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Vol. 21 (6), pp.595-605
- Banerjee, S., Kundu, T., (2006). "Elastic Wave Propagation in Sinusoidally Corrugated Wave Guides", Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 119 (4), pp. 2006-2017