John H. Fain Scholarship for Current Students
This scholarship provides an incentive for upper level Computer Information Systems and Computer Science majors to become entrepreneurs. Fain scholars may receive up to a total of $5,000.
- The scholarship is for undergraduate students majoring in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Students must have completed the lower division requirements for their degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Students must plan to pursue the appropriate program of study (see below).
- Students must maintain a major and cumulative GPA of 3.0 and make satisfactory progress towards the appropriate program of study to remain eligible.
Computer Information Systems (CIS) students accepted into the Fain Scholarship program are required to complete the Business Information Management (BIM) minor plus an additional course. CIS students should choose their two BIM electives from MKTG 350, MGMT 492, and either (ECON 311 or ECON 379). The CIS student must then complete the course not taken as a BIM elective. That is, CIS students must complete the BIM minor plus one more course to ensure they take MKGT 350, MGMT 472, and either (ECON 311 or ECON 379).
Computer Science students that are accepted into the Fain Scholarship program are required to complete the following courses related to business and entrepreneurship:
- Accounting Requirement: ACCT 222 - Introduction to Accounting
- Entrepreneurship Application Area Requirement: MKTG 350 - Principles of Marketing, MGMT 371 - Principles of Management, and MGMT 472 - Entrepreneurship and Small Business
- Economics Requirement: ECON 224 - Survey of Economics and either ECON 301 - Money and Banking, ECON 311 - Issues in Economics, or ECON 379 - Governmental Policy towards Business.
Upper division Computer Information Systems and Computer Science majors who want to be considered for a Fain Scholarship must complete and submit the Fain scholarship application by March 15. The Computer Science and Engineering Department expects to notify applicants by email of scholarship offers by the middle of May. Email questions regarding the application form to CEC Scholarship Chair, Matt Thatcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.