- Promoting diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice throughout the College
- Facilitating the recruitment, retention, and success of a diverse community of students
- Creating programs, practices, policies, and partnerships that address issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Supporting high-quality diversity research, teaching, outreach, and advocacy that advances social, civil, and educational rights
Recruitment and Retention Programs
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is proud to house the College of Education’s signature student recruitment and retention programs:
- Apple Core Initiative: Set to launch in August of 2018 with 6 students to become the 1st cohort, The Apple Core Initiative (ACI) seeks to recruit, enroll and retain high school South Carolina students from historically underrepresented populations, and who may also be 1st generation college attendees, into the teacher education programs at UofSC. ACI is driven by both theoretical and pedagogical perspectives grounded in culturally relevant/responsive teaching and cultural competency. ACI students will be supported in their efforts to gain a deep understanding of how to teach in culturally responsive ways to bolster their effectiveness with the diverse population of students they will teach in South Carolina.
- AACTE Holmes Scholars Program: The AACTE Holmes Scholars Program supports students from historically underrepresented communities who are enrolled in doctoral or undergraduate programs in education. The students receive financial support for up to 3 years. During the 2019-2020 academic year, the College of Education will have six Holmes Scholars.