The Public Relations/Strategic Communications Research Group was formed in Spring 2018 to facilitate scholarly discussion and productive collaborations in public relations and strategic communications research. The group is dedicated to conducting empirical research on public relations topics, issues, and trends. Student-faculty collaborators aim to produce high-quality research papers for submission to public relations and strategic communications conferences (e.g., AEJMC, ICA, IPRRC, PRSA, etc.) and scholarly journals.
Doctoral Student Members
Khalid Alharbi, Jackson Carter, Chang Won Choi, Minhee Choi, Yu-Jin Heo, Shudan Huang, Joon Kyoung Kim (Student Coordinator), Chris Noland, Nanlan Zhang
Nandini Bhalla, Assistant Professor, Washington and Lee University
Queenie Jo-Yun Li, Assistant Professor, University of Miami
Won-ki Moon, Doctoral Student, University of Texas at Austin
Jane Weatherred, Instructor, Georgia College & State University
Our student members’ work has been presented at top conferences and published in various scholarly outlets.
Li, J-Y., Overton, H.K., & Bhalla, N. (2020). Communicative action and supportive behaviors for environmental CSR practices: An attitude-based segmentation approach. Corporate Communications: An International Journal. Advance Online Publication.
Kim, J.K., Overton, H.K., Bhalla, N., & Li, J-Y. (2020). Nike, Colin Kaepernick, and the politicization of sports: Examining perceived organizational motives and consumer responses. Public Relations Review, 46(2), 1-10.
Li, J-Y., Kim, J.K., Overton, H.K., Bhalla, N., Zhang, N., Choi, M., & Moon, W. (2019). What shapes environmental responsibility perceptions? Measuring value orientations as a predictor of situational motivations and communicative action. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 13(3), 214-232.
- 2020 AAA Best Student Paper Award (Khalid Alharbi, Joon Kim, Chris Noland, and Jackson Carter)
- 2020 Bryce Rucker Research Award, University of South Carolina (Chang Won Choi)
- 2020 Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching Award, University of South Carolina (Minhee Choi)
- 2019 AEJMC Susanne A. Roschwalb Grant for International Study and Research Award, Public Relations Division (Won-ki Moon)
- 2019 Breakthrough Graduate Scholar Award, University of South Carolina (Joon Kim)
- 2019 Bryce Rucker Research Award, University of South Carolina (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 AEJMC Top Student Paper Award, Magazine Division (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 AEJMC Susanne A. Roschwalb Grant for International Study and Research Award, Public Relations Division (Minhee Choi)
- 2018 AEJMC Annual Conference Moeller Student Competition Award, Mass Communication and Society Division (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 AEJMC Annual Conference Inez Kaiser Award, Public Relations Division (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 AEJMC Annual Conference Kappa Tau Alpha Award (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 ICA Conference Top Student Paper Award, Public Relations Division (Nanlan Zhang, Yicheng Zhu, and Joon Kim)
- 2018 IPRRC Peter Debrecency Corporate Communication Award (Nandini Bhalla)
- 2018 Bryce Rucker Research Award, University of South Carolina (Joon Kim)