The full conference program is now available for you to review. Download the pdf here»
|Thur., March 7||
Google Training I
2:30 - 5:30 p.m.
|Fri., March 8||
Google Training II
8:45 - 11:45 a.m.
|Sat., March 9||
9 - 11:30 a.m.
Digital Tools Training
Thanks to the Society for Professional Journalists (SPJ), in association with the Google News Initiative, we will be hosting two, free Google News Tool Training sessions during the Colloquium/Symposium.
Registration is now open. Each session is limited to 50 attendees.
Our room block for colloquium and symposium attendees is now officially sold out. You can try back periodically, but we are unlikely to gain any additional rooms. Contact the Inn at USC by calling 803-779-7779 and mention AEJMC Colloquium. They will include you if new rooms become available.
Please be advised ... there is a concert in town Thursday, March 7 (Pink) and hotel rooms in downtown Columbia are going for as high as $350 per night. A number of hotels near the intersection of I-77 and Garner's Ferry Road (Southeast/Fort Jackson area) have rooms for much less than that. They are a six-mile drive to campus.
Rates are more reasonable if you are staying Friday and/or Saturday night. The Courtyard by Marriott on Assembly Street is a short walk to campus.
If you have not already, we ask you to register by March 1 so we can properly order the correct amount of food for events. After that, registration will cost an additional $25 and we cannot guarantee meals for you at key events.
1. Register online and pay with credit card»
2. Register via mail and pay by check. Download form»
If you are driving and/or renting a car, parking on campus can be found in several locations. Three garages with visitor parking closest to our building include:
- Senate Street Garage: Has parking for those with rooms at the Inn.
- Pendleton Garage: Metered parking for visitors is available on levels 1a, 1b and 2a.
- Bull Street Garage: Visitor parking is on levels 5 and 6. Do not park in reserved spots. Parking is $1 per hour on Thursday and Friday, and free on Saturday.
Please do not park in reserved spaces. You will be ticketed and/or towed.
Meters take coins and or you can use the PassportParking Mobile Pay App. Parking will be free after 5 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and entirely free on Saturday in all campus garages.
You can also look for street meters near the SJMC building at 800 Sumter Street. Green meters are typically for two hours or less. Blue meters are for stays up to five hours. Some meters take coins, but many do not. If you see a blue sign, you will need to use the App. The app will not allow you to pay past 5 p.m. on those meters. You should not be ticketed after that.
Area Airports: Four airports service the region
- Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE, 7 miles; American, Delta, United)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT, 96 miles)
- Augusta Regional Airport (AGS, 81 miles)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL, 221 miles)
Dr. Kenneth Campbell
Media & Civil Rights History Symposium
School of Journalism and Mass Communications
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208