Writing samples help you to show your ability to communicate in a variety of settings
and on different topics. Use this as an opportunity to show off your literary and
grammar skills and distinct writing style!
- Send recent samples only (something you wrote within 1-2 years)
- Class assignments or pieces you wrote in an internship or extracurricular are preferred
- Student media articles or pieces are always a plus!
- Align your writing sample style with the position you are applying for. For example,
if you are applying for a sports writing internship, try to submit more sports-related
- Avoid sending in writing samples with a political or religious affiliation. Blogs
are also discouraged.
- Samples should ideally be between 1-2 pages (1-4 pages is acceptable)
- Avoid sending group papers when possible
- Diversify your portfolio! Accumulate samples from a variety of sources that showcase
your full skill set such as research papers, editorials, articles, journals.