- List your email address and cell phone number as your contact information
- Education should be present on your resume (at the top or bottom, depending on your industry) and should include your degree, i.e. Bachelor's of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communications, Major: Public Relations, Minor: xyz
- Be sure to include your graduation date (month,year), i.e. May 2022. This lets employers know when you are available for full-time work.
- You do not need to list high school under education or another university where you transferred from. Only list institutions where you received a degree.
- List your experience! Experience can include internships, student organizations, volunteer experience and class projects.
- Use bullet points! Start your bullet with an action verb and give description of what you accomplished in your resume.
- Every task does not need to be a bullet point. Use 3-5 bullets at the most
- Include a skills section: i.e. InDesign, PhotoShop, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat. You should only include it in your skill section if you are already proficient in that area.
- Check out these helpful links for help with action verbs or writing bullet points for the first time
- Separate document from resume, cover letter. Should include 3-5 people
- Should be professional references such as Professors, Job or Internship Supervisors, NOT family/friends
- Please ask your references at least 2 weeks in advance
- Always include phone number, email
- Include how you know each other, i.e. professors
It can be confusing to know what a "standard" resume should look like. In fact, there are vast differences in industry expectations across CIC majors. For that reason, we have collected resources below to help you get started, including example resumes from alumni and current students in each of our majors.
See sample Career Center resume for reference (best for freshmen, sophomores).
Please contact your Career Services Manager for sample resumes in the following areas:
- Public Relations
- Information Science
- Broadcast Journalism
- Mass Communications
- Visual Communications/Creative Resume