Faculty and Staff
|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Office:||HUO, Room 211|
Curriculum Vitae [pdf]
English Language and Literature
PhD, UCLA, 1977
• Theory of language change
• Historical syntax
• Historical phonology
• Indo-European linguistics, culture, religion, and prehistory
• Old and Middle Irish syntax
• Contemporary English grammar
ENGL 450/LING 421 English Grammar
ENGL 453/LING 431 Development of the English Language
LING 530 Language Change
LING 730 Historical Linguistics
I am finishing a long-term book project on the development of infinitival subordination in early Irish. It is based upon data collected from all available edited manuscripts of Old and Middle Irish (roughly 650-1200 CE). It incorporates several themes which I have been exploring for some time: what do speakers think they are doing as they introduce linguistic innovations? How do such innovations show up in texts? What are the limits of language - specifically syntactic - change?
• The Syntactic Development of the Infinitive in Indo-European. Columbus, Ohio: Slavica Press. 220 pages (1980).
• Studies in Honor of Jaan Puhvel, Part One: Ancient Languages and Philology, edited with Martin Huld and John Greppin. Washington D.C: Institute for the Study of Man. (Indo-European Studies Monograph, vol. 20) 250 pages (1997).
• Advanced grammar: A manual for students. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. 480 pages (2003).
• Chapter, "Subordination" (with Carlotta Viti). Continuum Companion to Historical Linguistics, edited by Silvia Luraghi and Vit Bubenik. London/New York Continuum (to appear, 2010).
• "Purpose and consecutive in Irish." ériu 36.107-23 (1985).
• "The structure and diachrony of consecutives." Diachronica 3.1-14 (1986).
• "The diachronic relationship of morphology and syntax." Papers from the Seventh International Conference on Historical Linguistics, ed. by A.Giacalone Ramat, O. Carruba and G. Bernini, 211-20. Amsterdam: John Benjamins (1987).
• "The role of adaptive rules in language change." Diachronica 7:181-98 (1990).
• "Parameter resetting." Historical Linguistics 1991, ed. by Jaap van Marle, 87-97. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins (1993).