Fall 2022 Workshops: Faculty Search Committee Principles and Processes
The College of Arts and Sciences will hold two virtual workshops to discuss best practices in serving on a faculty search committee. We hope these workshops will be useful as the college's units successfully move forward in the search process.
Title: Faculty Search Committee Principles and Processes
- Friday, September 16, 1:00 – 3:00 : Click here to register for this virtual meeting.
- Tuesday, September 20, 1:00 – 3:00 : Click here to register for this virtual meeting.
- LaTasha Robinson, Director of Human Resources and Faculty Affairs
- Mylene Culbreath, Vice Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Purpose: This session will assist units in preparing for a successful search. Facilitators will share best practices for inclusive hiring in the academy, offer strategies and resources for robust recruitment and competitive selection and answer questions regarding human resources policies and procedures.
Who should attend: Department Chairs/School Directors, Search Committee Chairs, and all committee members must attend one of the two sessions hosted by the Dean’s Office. Please share this invitation with all search committee members in your department. Department Chairs/School Directors will be responsible for ensuring that search chairs and committee members attend one of the two sessions offered, and that those who cannot attend are properly trained in these principles and processes.
Chairs and Directors who do not have active searches are strongly encouraged to attend, while those who have active searches and their committees are required.
Please contact Vice Dean Mylene Culbreath with any questions regarding these sessions.
Faculty Search Committee Training Principles, Processes, and Information
Please see the resources below for information about faculty hiring and recruitment
- ACAF 1.00 Recruitment and Appointment of Tenured, Tenure – Track, and Non-Tenure Track Faculty
- ACAF 1.01 Recruitment and Appointment of Academic Admin
- CAS FTE Faculty Search Processes
- CAS TT Faculty Job Advertisement Guidelines
- Faculty Search Committee Principles and Processes 2022
- CR 1.00 Policy Against Discrimination, Harrassment, and Sexual Misconduct
- EOP 1.00 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- HR 1.25 Appointments for Non-US Citizens
- Resources from the Office of International Scholars (USC User ID and password required to view documents)
- HR 1.27 Nepotism
- Affirmative Action Recruiting Sources Guide (from the Equal Opportunity Programs Office)
- Attestation of Hiring Process Form (this is submitted to the College with the hiring proposal for the finalist)
- Legal-Illegal Interview Questions
- PA Search Committee Applicant Review Instructions (for the committee members to review the applications in PeopleAdmin)
- Strengthening Academic Excellence through Affirmative Recruiting (from the Equal Opportunity Programs Office)
- Faculty Candidate Resource Guide
Resources for Conducting Inclusive Faculty Searches
- "Best Practices for Conducting Faculty Searches," Harvard University, Office of the Senior Vice Provost, Faculty Development and Diversity -- https://faculty.harvard.edu/files/fdd/files/best_practices_for_conducting_faculty_searches_v1.2.pdf
- "Diversity and Inclusion Search Committee Toolkit" Division of Human Resources, The Office of Talent Acquisition, University of South Carolina -- https://www.sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/human_resources/docs/search_committee_toolkit.pdf
- "Handbook of Best Practices for Faculty Searches" Office for Faculty Advancement, University of Washington -- https://www.washington.edu/diversity/faculty-advancement/handbook/
- "Inclusive Search and Recruitment Toolkit for Faculty, Graduate Students, and Postdoctoral Fellows" -- University of Texas, Austin, Office of Inclusion and Equity -- http://equity.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/OIE-Recruitment_Sept2016_v_1.2.pdf
- "Handbook for Faculty Searches and Hiring" University of Michigan, Office of the Provost and ADVANCE -- https://advance.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Handbook-for-Faculty-Searches-and-Hiring.pdf
- "A Guide to Inclusive Hiring" University of Florida, Office of Talent Acquisition -- https://learn-and-grow.hr.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/02/UFHR_AiAtUF_InclusiveHiring.pdf
- Slides from presentation, "Conducting Inclusive Faculty Searches," by Todd Shaw, Interim Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, College of Arts & Sciences, USC (available after September 17th)
- Effective Search Committees – The Why, Who and How” AGB Search, Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges -- https://www.agbsearch.com/newsletter/effective-search-committees-the-why-who-and-how
- “How a Search Committee Can Be the Arbiter of Diversity” The Chronicle of Higher Education -- https://www.chronicle.com/article/how-a-search-committee-can-be-the-arbiter-of-diversity