Spend winter break in Lima, Peru!
Program Dates: December 27th, 2021 - January 8th, 2022
Program Cost: $3825.00*
This program provides students a unique opportunity to gain UofSC course credits while learning about culture in Peru. Participants are accompanied and instructed by UofSC faculty. During this program, students will have the chance to explore colonial buildings, 16th century churches, museums, and immerse themselves in the history of Peru. Courses for the program include:
- HIST 110: Conquest, Colonization, Captivity
- SPAN 350: Spanish Language-Culture Peru
- HRTM 280: Foundations of Travel and Tourism
In addition to taking courses, students participate in educational and service-oriented cultural excursions, including the Inca capital of Cuzco, Andes mountains of Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca. Contact Matt Childs at email@example.com for more information.
UofSC students with a minimum 2.5 GPA are eligible to participate in this program. All majors are welcome.
Courses & Credits
Students can choose from three UofSC course offerings. Anticipated course offerings include:
- HIST 110: As this course will be taught on location at various sites in Peru, we will balance coveringthe broad history of Latin America with specific readings, materials, and locations dealing with Peruvianhistory from the indigenous Inca civilization, conquest by the Spanish, and the ongoing legacy of colonial rule for contemporary society. Taught by Matt Childs, History Department: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPAN 350: An introduction to the socio-historic Peru context, some of its most relevant cultural expressions, through pre-Hispanic culture, Hispanic influence, political development, architecture, music, crafts, textiles, food, religion, customs and traditions of the Peruvian people. This course fosters an understanding of the Latin American culture, the ability to communicate in Spanish, and a critical understanding of the Latin America reality. Taught by Ana Cueto, Spanish Program: email@example.com
HRTM 280: This course introduces the discipline of travel and tourism with emphasis on human dimension of global tourism, and with a specialemphasis in the Machu Picchu, Peru and South America. It examines tourism through
the lens of Andean tourism and the global implications of the travel and tourism history, motivations for travel, components of travel, the tourism products, and impacts of tourism (socioeconomic, environmental, and ecological).
Taught by David Cardenas, School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Cost* Scholarships available! Visit https://sc.edu/educationabroad for more information|
The program fee of $3,825 includes:
The program fee does not include:
* Due to COVID-19 there may be some slight changes in itinerary and costs, which will be communicated well in advance of departure.
To apply for the Global UofSC in Peru program, please follow the instructions that can be found on the Apply page under the Plan Your Experience Abroad tab of the Education Abroad Office website, sc.edu/educationabroad. Click on the link for Global UofSC programs and follow the instructions for the Global UofSC in Peru program. Complete applications are due to the Education Abroad Office by September 15, 2021 (space permitting). Students will be notified of their acceptance by email on a rolling basis.