Office of Undergraduate Research
University of South Carolina - Columbia campus
Legare College Suite 120
803-777-1141 / email@example.com
We are located on the USC Columbia horseshoe next to the President’s house.
Here's a map if you need it!
What does OUR do?
Here in OUR, we do FOUR things:
- Help students and faculty connect through research advising and the OUR database.
- Provide funding opportunities for students to conduct their research
- Offer opportunities for students to share their accomplishments.
- SPREAD the word that research is AWESOME and everyone can and should do it!
We LOVE to share with anyone who will listen that research is FUN!
If you have a class, student organization, residence hall, etc. we can talk with them about “what is research,” “what does that mean for me,” “how do I get started,” and “where’s the money” - contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a presentation.
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) seeks to enrich the academic experience of all USC undergraduates by providing research and scholarly experiences in their chosen fields. The office promotes inquiry, discovery, and creativity in all disciplines through faculty-student mentoring relationships and the integration of instruction with research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Not only are we encouraging our students to explore research opportunities in the traditional areas of science, technology, and medicine but also music, theater, and art - any arena that will provide an environment for students to creatively explore their interests at a level more in-depth than can be attained in the classroom.
Undergraduate research is defined as a scholarly effort, generally beyond-the-classroom, aimed at developing a student's skills in inquiry through opportunities to contribute to and/or pursue original intellectual or creative work.
History of OUR
The Office of Undergraduate Research was established in November 2004 to centralize resources for undergraduates of all disciplines to engage in research at USC. Research is defined broadly through the office as any activity that will provide an environment for students to creatively explore their interests at a level more in-depth than can be attained in the classroom. This means that not only are we encouraging our students to explore research opportunities in the traditional areas of science, technology, and medicine but also music, theater, art and everything in-between. Any student who is working on a research project, whether funded or not, credit or no credit, is considered part of OUR.
Watch the unveiling:
See a videoclip of what some students say about research
The video is in QuickTime format and requires QT 7. Click here for free download.
- USC has been recognized three times (2011, 2013, and 2014) as one of the nation’s best programs for Undergraduate Research & Creative Projects by U.S. News & World Report!
- Since the Magellan Scholar program began in 2005, over $2.5 Million has been awarded directly to over 1000 USC undergraduates from all 8 system campuses to undertake a vast array of mentored research experiences!!
Meet OUR staff