Palmetto College's Bachelor of Arts in Psychology is designed to provide students with a broad knowledge of the principles of human behavior and mental processes.
Psychology students will explore how individuals learn, think, develop, and how we differ from one another in our thoughts, attitudes, motivations, and actions.
Why should I complete a bachelor's degree in psychology?
Through a bachelor's degree in psychology, graduates are prepared for a wide range of fields such as in the helping professions such as counseling, social work, and medicine, and also for such diverse fields such as law, management, education, community, and public affairs, sale, advertising, marketing, research, and writing.
Prerequisites and Requirements
To apply for this online degree program, students must have:
- 45-60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Students transferring credits into the program are encouraged to have completed the
- Composition and Literature
- Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communication
- Foreign Language
- Natural Science with a Lab
- Social/Behavioral Science course
- Fine Arts
- American Government or American History
The student must also obtain a grade of "C" or better in all courses taken for major credit. Students who pursue the psychology major must either elect a minor (with a minimum of 18 hours) or complete 12 hours of cognate courses.
- Psychology majors must either complete a minor or cognate (a flexible grouping of 12 credits of upper-level courses selected from outside the major chosen in consultation with the program advisor).
- Minors available to Palmetto College students are Human Services, Hospitality Management, Public Health, and Sociology.
- It is also possible to fulfill the minor/cognate requirement by completing USCB's Certificate in Gerontology.
Students who have not completed these requirements can do so at any of our Palmetto College campuses statewide, or at any technical college.
If you're a full-time student, the program should take about 2 years -- the same as if you were attending class in-person. If you work, you may need to take a lighter course load. Talk to an advisor about how to balance Palmetto College classes with your schedule.
Ready to get started?
New terms begin six times per year.
Call, chat, or email us today! Our trained representatives can create a plan that takes into account your earned credits and your unique circumstances. If you are unsure whether you meet the prerequisites and would like to request a pre-evaluation of your previous college work, please talk with a Palmetto College representative before applying.
If you've already talked to a Palmetto College representative, just follow the application instructions for this degree.