Dear Palmetto Pathway Student:
As you are no doubt aware, the University of South Carolina has announced the following actions in order to help protect the health, welfare, and safety of students, faculty, staff, and the general community, both on the Columbia campus and at our Palmetto College campuses:
- All classes and campus events are cancelled for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester.
- From Monday, March 23, through the conclusion of final exams in May, the University will suspend face-to-face instruction in lectures, discussion sections, seminars and other similar classroom settings and move to virtual instruction.
What this means:
University faculty have been directed to use the time between now and March 22 to plan and develop the alternate instruction methods they will use in their courses. Faculty will inform students of these methods using Blackboard, University e-mail, or other electronic means of communication. HOWEVER, IT IS EACH STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILTY TO CHECK BLACKBOARD AND THEIR UNIVERSITY E-MAIL ACCOUNTS REGULARLY TO ENSURE COMMUNICATION. If instructions are unclear or if a professor has not communicated requirements, students should first attempt to contact the professor (again, using Blackboard or University e-mail) and – if that fails to work – contact the Palmetto College main office at 803-777-9446.
Students encountering technology issues may contact UofSC’s Department of Information Technology (DoIT), at:
or by phone at 803-777-1800.
Students who are not familiar with working with Electronic Blackboard may find online assistance resources at:
- The university will, however, remain open, including administrative offices, residence halls, food services, and limited transit.
What this means:
Unless you hear otherwise, we will be in our offices in the Byrnes Building and able to respond to e-mails, phone calls, and other questions you may have. This also means (so far as I know) that the library and other campus entities will be open and available for use.
- University of South Carolina students will not be allowed to reside in Columbia campus residence halls unless they demonstrate extenuating circumstances.
- For more information about the University Housing, please email email@example.com. Phone: 803-777-4283
For the most updated information regarding the University’s actions, go to https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/.
We will endeavor to keep all students informed of any changes or additional developments, and on behalf of Chancellor Elkins and all of us here at Palmetto College, thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this most interesting of times.